What's new

ROME (and HBO release sched. in general)? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the story with HBO's release schedule? Specifically I'm interested in seasons 2 of Carnivale & Deadwood and season 1 of Rome.

Does HBO have a fixed period of time between airing and DVD, or is it randomly decided on a show by show basis?

Thanks!
Ted

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ted, as there are existing threads on the second seasons of Carnivale and Deadwood, I'm changing this one to a Rome thread.

A general guideline is that HBO likes to release a previous season just before the new one is set to premiere. With shows that have ended, such as Carnivale, there doesn't seem to be any clear pattern.

Carnivale season 2 thread
Deadwood season 2 thread

M.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

If that is true then there is still a long wait for Rome because the 2nd season isn't scheduled to begin until January/February of 2007 since they are in production now.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I suppose it's possible, with such a long delay, that they'll release the DVDs earlier to keep interest alive. That's what they did with season 5 of The Sopranos (aired Mar.-June 2004; returns Mar. 2006; DVDs released June 2005).

Then again, Sopranos doesn't need a DVD release to get people to watch the new season. I'm not sure the same can be said of Rome. I would expect a release pattern more like The Wire, whose third season finished at the end of 2004 but hasn't yet been announced for DVD.

M.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
FYI, Carnivale S2 is going to be replayed soon on HBOZ. Not sure if it will be widescreen or not. Typically, when HBO replays stuff on HBO2, it's cropped.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard, the second season of Rome was put on hold. HBO had greenlighted it and then suddenly stopped production. I didn't hear one way or the other if they restarted though (and I did read it on the internet so it may not be very accurate :) )

I think the only reason that The Sopranos didn't wait to have its DVD release until closer to the next season starting is because HBO knew it was going to take nearly two years.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I heard the rumors of the halt were overblown and that it was a scheduled halt to prepare for the continued production. It seems season 2 is a sure go ahead and the actors will return to the set in March with season 2 airing in March 07.

Season 1 of Rome will probably come to DVD Dec06-Feb 07.

Tim B

Auditioning
A list of HBO TV Shows being released on 2006:

Big Love - S1
Extras - S1
Carnivale - S2
Oz - S6
Curb Your Enthusiasm - S5
Rome - S1
Deadwood - S2
The Sopranos - S6
Entourage - S2
The Wire - S3

This is all according to TV Shows on DVD. They have a scan of the advertisement from HBO.

All great news for HBO fans. 2006 should be a great year.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I have to say that I would be VERY surprised to see Rome S1, Sopranos S6, and Big Love S1 released on DVD this year.

EDIT
I take that back about the Sopranos. Season 6.5 starts in Jan, so they will want all the money they can get in time for the holiday season. Why put the last 20 episodes on one set when they can double the money by splitting it up...brilliant.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Wait...what's the deal with this Big Love show??

I feel like I've seen the ads for this somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks