What's new

Rolling Stones Hybrids Sell 2 Million! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David Kawakami said:
He said that doing tie-ins with the Stones' recent concert tour and marketing aimed at both Baby Boomers and Teens had led to both groups turning out to buy these SACDs.
I think what he meant was "...Baby Boomers and Teens had led to both grooups turning out to buy these CDs." Let's face it, most buyers did not know that these discs were SACDs when they bought them. I still contend that they don't care either.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Let's face it, most buyers did not know that these discs were SACDs when they bought them. I still contend that they don't care either.
The point is that they bought them. Other considerations are certainly interesting, but they don't call it "the bottom line" for nuthin! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I understand that. All ABKCO and Sony care about is green. However, at the same time, they will put a positive spin on what those sales figures mean at every chance, when in all actuality, they have no real idea what they mean. They have no idea, but to my mind, common sense dictates that you hedge your bets that the Stones discs have sold primarily as CDs, not as SACDs.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
What I think they hope it means is a painless transition from CD to SACD, with the latter slowly replacing the former in terms of hardware. Ambitious yes, but it seems more possible with each passing day. They seem to have convinced themselves that it's worth the risk.

At the very least, I'm benefiting greatly from the experiment!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This new format is starting to take off! The Stones sold 2 million and growing. We will even subsidize the Beatles production costs and your master tapes will get the best possible archiving available in DSD and most importantly your loyal fans will have a source that is backward compatible to good ole CD.
This is one helluva sales pitch!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich said:
At the very least, I'm benefiting greatly from the experiment!
Well, in all honestly, each of us is a guinea pig here. :)
Regarding the idea of Sony thinking SACD is worth the risk, they may be facing a point where there is no turning back. Sony has already invested a lot of resources, namely money, in SACD going back to the R&D to develop the DSD technology in the first place. At this point, Sony may be forced to promote SACD, even if they know in their heart of hearts that it won't make much of an impact on the recorded music industry, just to recoup their initial investment. I am not saying that any of this in any way reflects what is going on at Sony, but it could in theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks