What's new

Rogue Leader gets DPL II. Whopee, yeah, hoorah! NOT!!! (1 Viewer)

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
The interview with Factor 5 (which I'm guessing you didn't bother to read) reveals that the game was developed with DPL2 in mind. It's not just a "stereo signal from ANY game" that happens to benefit from DPL2 processing. Factor 5 has developed their own proprietary encoder... Well, shoot, just read the first part of the interview.
Dolby Pro Logic II is a new technology from Dolby Labs which allows us via a proprietary encoder which we developed to have full positional five-channel sound in real-time for Rogue Leader. DPLII was originally developed as a supplement to DD to get more out of old Stereo and Dolby Surround material and it does a remarkable job with it, but we are taking it to a completely new level.
While you do have to take these remarks with a grain of salt, the sound in Rogue Leader isn't going to be nearly as unimpressive as you seem to think...
The Factor 5 people go on to discuss latency issues when trying to pull off realtime Dolby Digital 5.1 audio in a 60fps game... Something we still haven't seen the Xbox actually do, to my knowledge.
Link Removed

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Pete,

You're right, I didn't read any of the article, but regardless of the fact, DPL II isn't the same as DD, regardless of how much you're
quote: taking it to a completely new level....

I doubt that Rogue Leader is going to be 5 discrete channels with full bandwidth that DD is capable of providing.

I never doubted that Rogue Leader is going to have great sound, I'm quite sure it will, but to 'pump up' a sound format that's lesser than a competitor (XBox) and isn't as well know as DD, is all a marketing ploy IMO.

Troy

------------------
quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.[/quote]

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on September 28, 2001 at 03:07 PM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Mad dash, DOA3, Airforce Delta II all have full 5.1 at 60 fps ( whats wrong with 30fps anyway? DVD is 24fps and I don't see anyone bitching ) and all of the launch games are supporting 5.1 sound. DPLII is great but it isn't 5.1, games will use the .1 quite a bit more than movies or music. Sorry but Xbox wins this one hands down.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 28, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I believe this will be impressive, especially given that the source is 2-channel analog. But I don't see how it can top a discrete mix.
However - given latency issues, I think DPLII is a wise choice. Until you've heard DPLII, you can't really judge it. It *really* is amazing, and I'm sure even more so when it's written especially for the codec.
Frankly, I am personally disappointed in this news because my top-end brand-name receiver, which I just spent an arm and a leg purchasing, does not support DPLII (it's not a Denon/Onkyo/et al). So I will be without this functionality.
The main audible difference between standard 2-channel surround (pro-logic) and pro-logic 2 is stereo separation in the surrounds, however - the dynamic range has improved as well. A great DPLII mix could easily compete with a so-so DD5.1 mix.
Personally, I'll be rooting for the system with the best games. If they all have great games, I'll be rooting for all of them.
~Steve

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
This means pretty much nothing to me. Given the fact that XBox can do 5.1 and any receiver with DPL II can decode the stereo signal from ANY game.
So, what is the purpose of this post? If it means nothing to you, Why post this?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
whats wrong with 30fps anyway? DVD is 24fps and I don't see anyone bitching
Because with film, you have exposure over time, which gives you things like motion blur, which help make things look 'natural.' With computer generated imagery, you get distinct snapshots; he's in position A, then B, gone. The more frames per second you have, the smaller the 'jumps' between position, and the more natural it looks.
Or look at it this way:
Three frames per second:
o 0 O
17 frames per second:
ooooo00000000OOOOO

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
And as I pointed out in another thread, we're talking about a dynamically created sound environment here. This is not the same than just playing some 5.1 sound from some cut-scene. We are talking about a whole different ball-game here, with some serious processing power needed.
So let's wait and see how good any _GAME_ with 5.1 sound really is and how well they pull off 360° positioning, that actually matches the action on-screen...
-Christian
[Edited last by Christian Behrens on September 28, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Shayne I agree with you on the fps.
I just don't think that going from 30 to 60 will be that big of a deal. I have no doubt that you could tell but I don't think you'll complain about 30fps at all. Hell, both Wave Race Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion are locked at 30fps and they look very smooth to me (I think RL is 30fps too if I remember correctly). Factor 5 was talking about doing 5.1 in software not hardware like the Xbox (Apples to Oranges).

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Mad dash, DOA3, Airforce Delta II all have full 5.1 at 60 fps ( whats wrong with 30fps anyway? DVD is 24fps and I don't see anyone bitching )
Dean,
Correct me if I'm wrong but when console developers say "FPS" they're refering to Fields per second rather than Frames per second. So that 60 Fields per second is really just 30 Frames per second.
That may change for Xbox and GCN developers working in 480p and other progressive resolutions but all the interlaced game's I'm aware of quote frame rates in fields per second.

Gary King

Second Unit
Nope, fps means frames per second. The console may render in fields (such as the PS2), or in full frames (such as the Dreamcast, Xbox, and GCN), but fps always means frames per second.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it would be 30 fields per second which becomes 60 frames per second. Since there are two fields, and each has 30 frames per second, that makes it 60.
Luigi runs at 30 frames per second? Wow. Didn't know that.
Just curious, are CG films put onto film at 24 fps or are they run higher? How do they do that? I know that the CG cutscenes in FFX run at 30 fps in the game and at 24 fps at the "theater" (and they have 5.1 sound), but its still a computer generated image, so how can it run smooth at 30 or 24?

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Mario,
So, what is the purpose of this post? If it means nothing to you, Why post this?
Because I can!
Actually I wanted to make an argument for the XBox's sound capabilities and to point out Nintendo's wrong decision for not having digital output on the GameCube.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Troy,
It's funny, because I don't mind too much that the 'Cube doesn't have a digital output, but I think it is absolutely absurd that the PS2 doesn't have a 480p output.
Dreamcast, 480p
XBox, 480p
Gamecube, 480p
PS2, uhhhhh
If the folks at Dolby were suprised to discover that the rear surrounds can be discretely controlled, I think we'll be quite pleased.
Unfortunately there is no such workaround to get progressive graphics from a PS2.

James D S

Screenwriter
Wow, almost a month...
You are a stronger man than I.
wink.gif

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Michael,
I agree wholeheartedly. I was under the impression that the PS2 would do 480p, but I was wrong as wrong could be. I still like it none-the-less (PS2).
Gary,
It makes me wonder why you even bother with the Morgan posts. LOL.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks