Rogue Leader gets DPL II. Whopee, yeah, hoorah! NOT!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

http://cube.ign.com/news/38642.html
    Oh well, back to my XBox thoughts.
    Troy
    ------------------

2. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

The interview with Factor 5 (which I'm guessing you didn't bother to read) reveals that the game was developed with DPL2 in mind. It's not just a "stereo signal from ANY game" that happens to benefit from DPL2 processing. Factor 5 has developed their own proprietary encoder... Well, shoot, just read the first part of the interview.

3. Troy LaMont

Pete,

You're right, I didn't read any of the article, but regardless of the fact, DPL II isn't the same as DD, regardless of how much you're

I doubt that Rogue Leader is going to be 5 discrete channels with full bandwidth that DD is capable of providing.

I never doubted that Rogue Leader is going to have great sound, I'm quite sure it will, but to 'pump up' a sound format that's lesser than a competitor (XBox) and isn't as well know as DD, is all a marketing ploy IMO.

Troy

------------------
    quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
    :That's just something ugly people say.[/quote]

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on September 28, 2001 at 03:07 PM]

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Mad dash, DOA3, Airforce Delta II all have full 5.1 at 60 fps ( whats wrong with 30fps anyway? DVD is 24fps and I don't see anyone bitching ) and all of the launch games are supporting 5.1 sound. DPLII is great but it isn't 5.1, games will use the .1 quite a bit more than movies or music. Sorry but Xbox wins this one hands down.
    Dean
    [Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 28, 2001 at 03:16 PM]

5. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I believe this will be impressive, especially given that the source is 2-channel analog. But I don't see how it can top a discrete mix.
    However - given latency issues, I think DPLII is a wise choice. Until you've heard DPLII, you can't really judge it. It *really* is amazing, and I'm sure even more so when it's written especially for the codec.
    Frankly, I am personally disappointed in this news because my top-end brand-name receiver, which I just spent an arm and a leg purchasing, does not support DPLII (it's not a Denon/Onkyo/et al). So I will be without this functionality.
    The main audible difference between standard 2-channel surround (pro-logic) and pro-logic 2 is stereo separation in the surrounds, however - the dynamic range has improved as well. A great DPLII mix could easily compete with a so-so DD5.1 mix.
    Personally, I'll be rooting for the system with the best games. If they all have great games, I'll be rooting for all of them.
    ~Steve

6. Mario_C

Mario_C Stunt Coordinator

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

8. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    And as I pointed out in another thread, we're talking about a dynamically created sound environment here. This is not the same than just playing some 5.1 sound from some cut-scene. We are talking about a whole different ball-game here, with some serious processing power needed.
    So let's wait and see how good any _GAME_ with 5.1 sound really is and how well they pull off 360° positioning, that actually matches the action on-screen...
    -Christian
    [Edited last by Christian Behrens on September 28, 2001 at 08:31 PM]

9. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Games sound great in DD 5.1 -- I have yet to notice a latency problem.

10. Dean Cooper

Shayne I agree with you on the fps.
    I just don't think that going from 30 to 60 will be that big of a deal. I have no doubt that you could tell but I don't think you'll complain about 30fps at all. Hell, both Wave Race Blue Storm and Luigi's Mansion are locked at 30fps and they look very smooth to me (I think RL is 30fps too if I remember correctly). Factor 5 was talking about doing 5.1 in software not hardware like the Xbox (Apples to Oranges).

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Nope, fps means frames per second. The console may render in fields (such as the PS2), or in full frames (such as the Dreamcast, Xbox, and GCN), but fps always means frames per second.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Actually, it would be 30 fields per second which becomes 60 frames per second. Since there are two fields, and each has 30 frames per second, that makes it 60.
    Luigi runs at 30 frames per second? Wow. Didn't know that.
    Just curious, are CG films put onto film at 24 fps or are they run higher? How do they do that? I know that the CG cutscenes in FFX run at 30 fps in the game and at 24 fps at the "theater" (and they have 5.1 sound), but its still a computer generated image, so how can it run smooth at 30 or 24?

14. Troy LaMont

Mario,

15. Michael St. Clair

Troy,
    It's funny, because I don't mind too much that the 'Cube doesn't have a digital output, but I think it is absolutely absurd that the PS2 doesn't have a 480p output.
    Dreamcast, 480p
    XBox, 480p
    Gamecube, 480p
    PS2, uhhhhh
    If the folks at Dolby were suprised to discover that the rear surrounds can be discretely controlled, I think we'll be quite pleased.
    Unfortunately there is no such workaround to get progressive graphics from a PS2.

16. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Wow, almost a month...

17. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

18. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I love Gary King. But not in a homosexual way.
    (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

19. Dean Cooper

Damn you! I just spit coffee in my keyboard [​IMG]

20. Troy LaMont

Michael,
    I agree wholeheartedly. I was under the impression that the PS2 would do 480p, but I was wrong as wrong could be. I still like it none-the-less (PS2).
    Gary,
    It makes me wonder why you even bother with the Morgan posts. LOL.
    Troy
    ------------------
    :My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
    :That's just something ugly people say.