What's new

Rocketman or Hornlover? (1 Viewer)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I currently have Klipsch Reference 3 speakers all the way around paired with a Sherwood Newcastle AM9080 amp. Upgraditis is starting to hit a little with all the talk about the Rocket Speakers. I was very close a couple of months ago to pulling the trigger on a Diva package but some things came up and I decided to hold off. I'm happy with the Klipsch's for HT but would like something a little more laid back for music. I know what you're thinking, get the Rockets for music and keep the Klipsch for you HT. That idea won't work b/c I can only have one set as the others will have to go. Will the Rocket package 2 meet or beat the Klipsch for HT? What can I expect to change with music? I really like the look of the Rocket's seeing as they are a darker color now. At the end of the day, Klipsch or Rocket?

jad

Agent
I have heard the Klipsch Ref but not the rockets so part of my comments will be educated conjecture. For HT the rockets will not match the forwardness & dynamics of the klipsch, so movies with huge explosions will be more concussive thru klipsch. Conversely, the rockets using the ring tweeter will have better off axis dispersion giving a wider sweet spot, which for me is paramount as I use a phantom center config. Although the low level detail on the klipsch is good, it is not great, so the rocket might provide more subtle cues during quieter scenes. The thing I like about the current klipsch ref is they have a smooth, live and uncompressed sound to them while also having good resolution. I especially like the rb-5 which are my current speaker to beat in their price range. I have found other speakers do some things better until I crank them up a little and they fall apart. I will be ordering the rs250 in a couple of weeks to see if they can defeat these. All I want is a speaker with great dynamics, wide dispersion, superb inner detail along with a warm natural timbre for under a grand. I hope that's not asking too much. :D In the last 2 months I've had many contenders come and go but I have high hopes for the rockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks