What's new

ROBOCOP Trilogy R2 3XDVD's 11/2/02 (1 Viewer)

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got round to picking this up today, was meant to be avaliable from 11th feb. But it is in most shops early in the UK and managed to get it for only £27 reduced down from £39.99 retail. I still own the Criterion edition from 1999 or 98. The new transfer is meant to be an improvement, you get a seamless branching option to watch the unrated directors cut. Also the main reason for rebuying this is Flesh & Steel:The making of robocop documentary 40mins, deleted scenes including director's cut footage with live stage direction.

Will post a review tomorrow. The only downside is you get robocop 2 (not to bad) and robocop 3 (very bad and pg friendly).

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I've just finished going through the extras and they are good, especially the audio commentary (which even works on both versions of the film!). The picture is pretty good, but the sound is a bit lacking in the first half hour - however, it makes up for it later!

The documentary is really interesting (I wish it was longer, though), but the deleted scenes are fairly short and dull.

I'll let Luke post his full review now...

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The release date was brought forward a week so thats why it's out now. I haven't had a chance to watch it all yet but Robocop does look better than the Criterion transfer, but with the change from 1.66 to 1.85 the composition looks way too tight to me. I was pretty surprised to see how nice 2 & 3 look though. I thought MGM would have just chucked some awful transfers out for those two. I've already had my moneys worth out of the set in laughing at the crap british bad guy in part 3. "We're all dead you slllaaaagggg!":D
Plus I wish all deleted scenes where as good as the topless pizza scene.;)
Richard

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Esten,

It's a new commentary. It features the same participants as the Criterion one (Paul Verhoven, Ed Neumeier and Jon Davison) except they're all recorded together this time instead of individually.

Richard

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
Will post a review tomorrow.
Please let us know if there are these "pauses" before each of the "dir. cut" scenes as was mentioned by a reviewer?

This is supposed to be caused by the laser focusing to the other layer since they are not using seamless branching on this DVD.

DannyS

Second Unit
saw my bro's copy yesterday. NO PAUSES!! cool, pristine print! and the topless pizza! worth buying the set for that alone!! pure verhoeven!

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I noticed three pauses, but I suspect that one of them was a layer change. Anyway, they aren't really distracting. Strangely, I didn't notice any pauses when watched the director's cut with commentary...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks