What's new

RIP Johnny Unitas (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Legendary Colts QB Johnny Unitas died of a heart attack today at the age of 69. He was widely considered the greatest NFL quarterback ever to play the game, and was a long-standing symbol of the city of Baltimore. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I know many people who did, and from their accounts he was a great man as well. He will be missed.
:frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remembering how Johnny U played football is just another example of the great sports era I grew up in back in 1960's.

Crawdaddy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
His passing made both the front page and the sports section of this morning’s Dallas Morning News, a considerable tribute, as most in this area are fixated on the ‘Cowboys’.

One article contained a quote (that I had forgotten), from a former coach. He said that the definition of leadership, was Unitas getting off the team bus. And one from tight end John Mackey, “being in the huddle with him was like being in the huddle with God”. And finally a story from Bubba Smith, defensive end from Michigan State, where he relates that after an opposing defensive lineman broke through the line, sacked Unitas and smashed his face into the ground, Johnny called the same play again and broke the opposing lineman’s nose with the ball.

He will be missed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
In today's day and age of high-priced crybaby or thug athletes, it is sad to see the passing of someone who actually loved the game. You will be missed Johnny U.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I regret that I only was able to see Johnny U play at the end of his career. From all the old NFL films I've seen, he is easily one of the greatest QB's in league history. RIP.

JoseSanchez

Auditioning
Hey Joe its Justin. Nice thread. This is for the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Unitas is one of a very select group of men who defined the NFL. He is an immortal role model and he is missed dearly.

Bruce

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I went to summer camp with his son Chad. I briefly met him, but barely knew who he was when I was 11. I remember all the parents being very excited to meet him, and how much the NFL physically took out of him (there was an annual parent sporting event at the end of the camp, and he couldn't participate because of his arthritic knees.)

My parents spoke to him, and thought he was a very nice guy. Amazng QB too... sad, but he got to live a decently long and awfully fun life. Good for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks