What's new

RIP John Mahoney (1940-2018) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter has shared the news that John Mahoney, who played the title character's intellectually sharp but uncultured father for eleven seasons on "Frasier", has passed away at the age of 77.

Mahoney was born in England amidst Nazi bombings during World War II. He emigrated to the United States after the war to live with his sister, who had married a U.S. serviceman. After college, he enlisted in the U.S. Army to speed up the citizenship process. By the time he was discharged, he'd lost his English accent. Before "Frasier", he was a fixture in the Chicago theater scene for years.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Terrific actor that seemed like a genuinely nice guy off screen. His take on Marty Crane was beyond brilliant and greatly contributed to Frasier being one of the top sitcoms of all time. He was the perfect counterpoint to both Niles and Frasier.

When he appeared on Hot in Cleveland a couple years back I noticed he seemed to have lost some weight when he didn't really need to lose any. Hopefully his illness didn't cause him a lot of pain and suffering.

Prayers to his loved ones.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw John Mahoney the other night when I watched Suspect. He was good. He was in another film with Cher but had no scenes with her. Again he showed he was a skilled actor.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Hollywood Reporter has shared the news that John Mahoney, who played the title character's intellectually sharp but uncultured father for eleven seasons on "Frasier", has passed away at the age of 77.

Mahoney was born in England amidst Nazi bombings during World War II. He emigrated to the United States after the war to live with his sister, who had married a U.S. serviceman. After college, he enlisted in the U.S. Army to speed up the citizenship process. By the time he was discharged, he'd lost his English accent. Before "Frasier", he was a fixture in the Chicago theater scene for years.
Loved him on Frasier and in a couple of movie appearances. He was one of the unsung greats!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
By sheer coincidence I had just watched my newly acquired BD of "In the Line of Fire" last week and was pleasantly surprised to see him in a fairly prominent role in this. I regret never have been able to see him on the stage.

His cause of death has been revealed to be complications from throat cancer. One of his fellow Chicago actors said he'd been very fragile lately and had actually beaten the cancer in recent years. True to form, it's reported that he never complained and kept his health problems very private.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, he is the first Frasier actor, either regular or recurring, to have passed. For a show with a large ensemble cast that debuted twenty years ago that's pretty remarkable. Even more remarkable is that the cast remained close in real life and regularly praised each other. It would have been nice if CBS/P had remastered the entire series to HD before issuing the DVDs. They're a step below some of their later efforts.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Rarely watched Frasier, but what I saw he seemed good for that role. I was more of a Cheers guy and interestingly enough, Mahoney once appeared on that show as a different character.

I'll always remember him as W.P. Mayhew in 'Barton Fink'.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Rest In Peace, Martin Crane! Even though the show was called "Frasier", I thought he was part of the reason why the show was enjoyable to watch, as I saw it more as an ensemble show.

I'm sure that I have seen Mahoney in other things, but I don't recall at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks