What's new

Pre-Order Rio Grande (1950) Olive Signature Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51-7iKZPwPL._SX385_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I have to wait and see How much Better this Olive Signature transfer is compared to the original release I have had for years. I upgraded High Noon, Johnny Guitar, The Quiet Man, & Invasion of the Body Snatchers !
Rio_Grande0.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Is it just me or does the cover art look cheap?
As artwork goes, I find it to be very life-like. :rolleyes:

I may very well purchase “Rio Grande”, but NOT as a preorder; as I’m gonna hold out on for the reviews. Indeed, at 40 bucks, I’d say that at least 3 reputable and solid reviews are mandatory. As in the past, those “Signatures” have had a few invisible-ink guffaws; such as “Operation Petticoat” and “Father Goose”. Hopefully, though, “Rio Grande” will be on an Olive transfer par such as “High Noon”, “The Quiet Man” and “Letter from an Unknown Woman”. If it’s a case of the latter, then I’m all in. Fingers crossed.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pre-ordering this, but I wish Olive Films would get their act together. There is no mention of this on their website, nothing on their twitter feed. It's like they have given up on advertising their products anymore. I have no idea what extras may be on this.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
I'm pre-ordering this, but I wish Olive Films would get their act together. There is no mention of this on their website, nothing on their twitter feed. It's like they have given up on advertising their products anymore. I have no idea what extras may be on this.

"OLIVE SIGNATURE FEATURES - New High-Definition digital restoration - Audio commentary by Nancy Schoenberger - ""Telling Real Histories"" – Raoul Trujillo on representations of Indigenous Americans in film - ""Songs of the Rio Grande"" – Marc Wanamaker on the Sons of the Pioneers - ""Strength and Courage"" – Patrick Wayne on his father - ""Bigger Than Life"" – with Claude Jarman, Jr. - Visual essay by Tag Gallagher - ""The Making of Rio Grande"" – with Leonard Maltin - Essay by Paul Andrew Hutton - Theatrical trailer

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I believe for every single one of these "Signature" things they're using their same masters and tweaking them. I have found everyone of 'em totally unnecessary and disappointing.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Interesting release, I figured Olive was gone but then every so often we get one of these signature releases. I’d like to see some more releases of films without a prior blu ray release or even a dvd release but this is welcome news.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I believe for every single one of these "Signature" things they're using their same masters and tweaking them. I have found everyone of 'em totally unnecessary and disappointing.

Johnny Guitar is in an entirely different aspect ratio and a new 4k scan.
High Noon was a new 4k remaster that is reviewed as markedly improved (I’ve only seen the new one). Can’t speak to any of the others.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Johnny Guitar is in an entirely different aspect ratio and a new 4k scan.
High Noon was a new 4k remaster that is reviewed as markedly improved (I’ve only seen the new one). Can’t speak to any of the others.

A 4K TRANSFER of their existing master, I believe for High Noon. Johnny Guitar - was the 4K scan off their existing master and they just fixed the aspect ratio?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] OLIVE FILMS PRESENTS - Olive Signature [/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
vmMBrDIDgdUv7f-tNreQ1QihHmJGn1kyd7fXDLQ0-jYRu-5y6aiv-aQhRuXWeeZOEUy5GyKTGvjjlJa039-Twe4pCZrGxUgNQugDqayo0dK9OHCbnkpfTAb0SX8jRCa9VCkFr8_liaPXt9xcX8HTcuwHwEgA-g=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
- Olive Signature -
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] Olive Films proudly presents the following Olive Signature title:
  • Rio Grande (1950) - BD only
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
QIy_L0maDz-wNmEGsthPKUyZhcZ22aN8KAF4RyTbqav4JsSTSgOEF1WZAzkaPvM-BZNPqranzWue45jDp0VCpLQ3vDO1zcSCXwOi2-jVQKlQAfvtWcRhpDby9eihJt7r438ftskofXOtmxtbqMWyKi5PdaZ1ow=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] LIMITED TO 3,500 BLU-RAY UNITS

RIO GRANDE – OLIVE SIGNATURE

JOHN WAYNE
(The Quiet Man, Sands of Iwo Jima, McLintock!)
MAUREEN O’HARA
(The Quiet Man, The Parent Trap, Miracle on 34th Street)
VICTOR McLAGLEN
(Fort Apache, The Quiet Man, The Informer)
BEN JOHNSON
(Shane, The Last Picture Show, The Wild Bunch)
HARRY CAREY, JR.
(The Searchers, Red River, Big Jake)
CLAUDE JARMAN, JR.
(The Yearling, Intruder in the Dust, Fair Wind to Java)
CHILL WILLS
(The Alamo, Giant, McLintock!)
J. CARROL NAISH
(Annie Get Your Gun, Humoresque, Clash by Night)

Directed by
JOHN FORD
(The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Fort Apache, Stagecoach)

John Ford, the four-time Oscar winner for Best Director (The Informer – 1936, The Grapes of Wrath – 1941, How Green Was My Valley – 1942 and The Quiet Man – 1953) helmed Rio Grande for Republic Pictures in order to have his pet project, The Quiet Man, approved.

YEAR:
GENRE: DRAMA
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH (with optional English subtitles)
LABEL: OLIVE FILMS
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 105 min
RATING: N/A
VIDEO: 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio; B&W
AUDIO: MONO

OLIVE SIGNATURE FEATURES
  • New High-Definition digital restoration
  • Audio commentary by Nancy Schoenberger
  • “Telling Real Histories” – Raoul Trujillo on representations of Indigenous Americans in film
  • “Songs of the Rio Grande” – Marc Wanamaker on the Sons of the Pioneers
  • “Strength and Courage” – Patrick Wayne on his father
  • “Bigger Than Life” – with Claude Jarman, Jr.
  • Visual essay by Tag Gallagher
  • “The Making of Rio Grande” – with Leonard Maltin
  • Essay by Paul Andrew Hutton
  • Theatrical trailer
Rio Grande , the third and final installment in John Ford’s loosely-conceived Cavalry Trilogy (preceded by Fort Apache and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon ) stars John Wayne as Lt. Col. John Kirby Yorke (the role he inhabited in Fort Apache ) alongside Maureen O’Hara (in the first of five films she’d co-star in alongside Wayne) as his estranged wife, Kathleen, a woman set on keeping their son, Jefferson (Claude Jarman Jr., The Yearling ), now under Yorke’s command, out of harm’s way.

Filmed throughout Moab, Utah and the majestic Professor Valley – photographed in exquisite gradations of black and white by Stagecoach cinematographer Bert Glennon – Rio Grande offers nuanced observations on love, family, and honor, while firmly adhering to the western genre, showing Ford at his most measured and mature as a storyteller. Written by James Kevin McGuinness ( Men of Boys Town ) based on the Saturday Evening Post story by James Warner Bellah, Rio Grande features J. Carrol Naish and a supporting cast of familiar faces, many of them from the Ford stock company of actors including Harry Carey, Jr., Ben Johnson, Victor McLaglen, Chill Wills, and Grant Withers.[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
98aVPzI_6b8Kewi5R0xq3ialK44z2xoMpwXErmb2w7aU7Al8kFA6xhjJGo0y9vP6QE8FCRpK7WP4hf_Exadz6FD26cM9fk-mhQ5ujW8ztGcmzlbnF1IgcY4vCUizRMuODpjv_h-0K457qP7v798HR5VihytClw=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
y9XZXzIRbRpmSv6xzSN_T3-PLVzmILaqc2WQiski8sLJuaICg6RoPFVaTRshB5mnP78x6-XKV3mTP6GPGeaIccnaaCFW-XOXOLN9-p2rkZT8zqR3DdJWt2fOoXifdw9-EoWssflLp_iFu8vofS2uKiVCVC-ouA=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
PRzIN1p7ojRBm2Cu4DCWy-LfRQvSE3Pml3r2o6vJUjFkhSaPUTqC3IAabLstjn-y8YJrsQdRIQ8rb8gdWlBWgft1IBNbVvY9uccALxti2HPTeCVf3RPMAiVYk2O7T9yEarj9J7lO-npCnBx0oIoW46vAilSMzQ=s0-d-e1-ft
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"] US+CANADA
STREET: 11/17/20
CAT: OS022
UPC: 887090602204
SRP: $39.95
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

denys t.

Auditioning
Real Name
denys thériault
I upgraded a few months ago with the EUREKA version. The main difference with this new version seems to be mainly the featuture-length audio commentary. As for the most interesting bonus; the visual essay by Tag Gallagher, it is bound to be the same.

It will be probably worth upgrading if you don't already owned the European version.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I upgraded a few months ago with the EUREKA version. The main difference with this new version seems to be mainly the featuture-length audio commentary. As for the most interesting bonus; the visual essay by Tag Gallagher, it is bound to be the same.

It will be probably worth upgrading if you don't already owned the European version.

Is the transfer of the main event noticeably different from the existing Olive edition?

denys t.

Auditioning
Real Name
denys thériault
The europeean transfer is not that much different from the existing Olive edition, and I would not be surprise if Olive go with their existing transfer which were not bad, so unless Olive improve significally their transfert, the only reason to upgrade would be for the bonus features.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The europeean transfer is not that much different from the existing Olive edition, and I would not be surprise if Olive go with their existing transfer which were not bad, so unless Olive improve significally their transfert, the only reason to upgrade would be for the bonus features.
I don't Upgrade Bluray movies for the Bonus Features. PQ Restoration or 4K Restoration Yes. This one I will Pass. The Eureka release is Darker I noticed on internet. The Olive original is Brighter and Excellent PQ. :)
RIO GRANDE UK.jpg
Rio-Grande-Blu-ray.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

Will have to agree to disagree. Their INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS Signature release was amazing, looked and sounded amazing, and was packed with an (ready for it?) amazing abundance of extras.

No regrets double-dipping on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks