What's new

Review: Toshiba SD-5700 DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Andre,
Very informative review. Thank You. I am thinking of getting a progressive scan player, and you answered some questions I had about these new Toshibas.

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting video review, but is it just me that is interested in the audio capabilities of the newer DVD-A players?!
While I guess that I can understand that Andre didn't happen across any DVD-A disks, no mention is made of the players good old CD playing quality, although some pains were taken to access it's ability to play MP3s.
Call me frustrated, and I'm not picking on Andre, but I'm in the market for a CD player that also plays DVD-A and oh yeah DVD-Video, so I guess that for this forum my priorities are a bit off. Does everyone use a CD player in addition to the DVD??!! Or do you just not listen to CDs???

Andre Perusse

Auditioning
Hi, Art.
Actually, after I wrote the review I realized that I hadn't tested the player's CD quality. Unfortunately, I had to return the review unit shortly so I only had time to test one CD on the 5700. Compared to my 10-year old Rotel RCD-955, the Toshiba sounded harsh with a noticibly smaller soundstage.
I wouldn't call this conclusive by any means, but I think it helps support the general trend that DVD players don't make good CD players.
Cheers,
Andre

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Andre,
Thanks for the quick CD review. Hmmm, I was just reading a reference to a Sterophile listing of the Toshiba 9200 as "A Recommended" as a CD player. Don't know if Stereophile evaluated its DVD capabilities, but I find this pretty interesting. I had hoped that the 3700 shared much of the 9200's audio properties, but I'm starting to give up on that idea. The 9200's must be discontinued as they can be had for $550, so I'm on to looking at that and the Panasonic RP91 as CD players (that do DVD).
Thanks.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Art, the 3750/4700/5700 and the 9200 bear absolutely no resemblance on the inside. They are as different as 2 players could be.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Andre, can you check those samples I put up and tell me if that's what you were hearing?

Andre Perusse

Auditioning
Hi, Jeff.
I checked your samples and that is exactly the same problem I had with some MP3s. Most of my MP3s played fine, but a few of them had that "popping" that almost sounds like a horse trotting through the sound field. Weird.
Cheers,
Andre

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Thanks Andre, I'll try to send someone from Toshiba to check out what we are hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks