Review: Toshiba SD-5700 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Perusse, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Andre Perusse

Andre Perusse Auditioning

2. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Andre,
    Very informative review. Thank You. I am thinking of getting a progressive scan player, and you answered some questions I had about these new Toshibas.

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Andre,
    I'm glad to see the problems I'm experiencing aren't unique to my 4700 with mp3's.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/046415.html
    I've called Toshiba and they've stated they've heard nothing about this. I'm disappointed and will have to return this player. Thanks for confirming what I've heard.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

5. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Interesting video review, but is it just me that is interested in the audio capabilities of the newer DVD-A players?!
    While I guess that I can understand that Andre didn't happen across any DVD-A disks, no mention is made of the players good old CD playing quality, although some pains were taken to access it's ability to play MP3s.
    Call me frustrated, and I'm not picking on Andre, but I'm in the market for a CD player that also plays DVD-A and oh yeah DVD-Video, so I guess that for this forum my priorities are a bit off. Does everyone use a CD player in addition to the DVD??!! Or do you just not listen to CDs???

6. Andre Perusse

Hi, Art.
    Actually, after I wrote the review I realized that I hadn't tested the player's CD quality. Unfortunately, I had to return the review unit shortly so I only had time to test one CD on the 5700. Compared to my 10-year old Rotel RCD-955, the Toshiba sounded harsh with a noticibly smaller soundstage.
    I wouldn't call this conclusive by any means, but I think it helps support the general trend that DVD players don't make good CD players.
    Cheers,
    Andre

7. Art Miller

Art Miller Stunt Coordinator

Andre,
    Thanks for the quick CD review. Hmmm, I was just reading a reference to a Sterophile listing of the Toshiba 9200 as "A Recommended" as a CD player. Don't know if Stereophile evaluated its DVD capabilities, but I find this pretty interesting. I had hoped that the 3700 shared much of the 9200's audio properties, but I'm starting to give up on that idea. The 9200's must be discontinued as they can be had for $550, so I'm on to looking at that and the Panasonic RP91 as CD players (that do DVD).
    Thanks.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Art, the 3750/4700/5700 and the 9200 bear absolutely no resemblance on the inside. They are as different as 2 players could be.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

9. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Andre, can you check those samples I put up and tell me if that's what you were hearing?

10. Andre Perusse

Hi, Jeff.
    I checked your samples and that is exactly the same problem I had with some MP3s. Most of my MP3s played fine, but a few of them had that "popping" that almost sounds like a horse trotting through the sound field. Weird.
    Cheers,
    Andre

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Thanks Andre, I'll try to send someone from Toshiba to check out what we are hearing.