What's new

Resolution in theatres vs. home theatre (1 Viewer)

JacobGunn

Auditioning
This is my first post in the Forum, so please bear with me for any errors! ;)

When I look at my laserdisc collection and consider how many of these I've already "upgraded" to anamorphic DVDs, and then think of d-vhs, blue-laser DVD, HD-DVD, sweat starts tickling. The endless upgrading is becoming somewhat tiresome.
If a comparison is even possible, how far away is what must considered the ultimate goal, theatrical video resolution at home? (I'm exclusively thinking about resolution, not all the sideeffects of an analogue format such as 35mm film). What is, in fact, the resolution of a theatrical projection?

I realise that any next-gen DVD format is at least a couple of years away. But if that were to offer me something getting close to my "ultimate goal", some purchases could probably wait a bit.

Thank you for your time and attention!

Best regards,
Jacob Gunness
Denmark

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to measure the "resolution" of projected film, but pundits have put it at something line 6,000 lines of resolution when compared with video. But given the inadequacies of most theaters' projection capabilities and the often mediocre quality of most release prints, high-quality home-video presentations can seem remarkably close in picture quality. For some viewers, the best DVDs don't impart the sense of watching "video."

A truly good high-definition version of DVD (or whatever it will be called) will effectively erase those differences.

Welcome to HTF.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I would think you would have to compare film grain to pixels and figure out how much grain is in a frame of film. I was at a Regal theater this weekend to see the Matrix and they had a Christie Digital Projecter running the Pre Show "entertainment" not the trailors but instead of a slidshow its like tv commercials music video's etc. at anyrate until I looked back and saw the DLP projector hanging in the window of the booth I thought I was watching Film, I'll admit I was about half way back in the theater so I'm sure up closer it would have been more obvious but it looked damn good if I must say so. The line's so to speak are definately blurring. Between film and Digital.

JacobGunn

Auditioning
Thanks for both replies! Home theatre still seems to have some way to go if your estimate (6,000 lines) is right, Jack :) I'm grateful to say that most theatres in my area have
well-calibrated equipment and receive mostly new prints. But obviously, a faulty setup can ruin the whole experience, whether at home or in theatres.
Lesson learned: better buy some more of those pesky DVDs!

- Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks