What's new

ReplayTV Good Deal Yes or No? (1 Viewer)

KevinGib

Auditioning
Hi, this is my first post ever. I need your help. I am thinking about purchasing a ReplayTV 5060 I found @ Costco for $199.99. However, I have reservations. I have researched the new owner of ReplyTV and it looks as if D&M Holdings (www.dm-holdings.com/) plans to incorporate the assets purchased from SONICBlue into their new digital development group. ReplayTV seems to fit nicely into their overall home entertainment picture. In a press release issued April 17, 2003, D&M Holdings reported: “D&M holdings intends to keep all ReplayTV customers and will design, manufacture and distribute a line of ReplayTV and Rio products.”

I like the remote programming feature and the units networking abilities. Is this a good deal or should I go next door to TiVo?

Thanks
:)

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
The deal with D&M holdings is complete as of 4/25/2003. http://www.sonicblue.com/company/press.asp?ID=594

ReplayTV will remain in business and their new product line, the 5500 series, will be pretty much the same as the current models without commercial skip.

$199 is a good deal on the 5060, alternatively the 5040 can be had at Best Buy for $199 - $50 mail-in-rebate.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plus, if you're savvy enough to score one of those Best Buy Customer Appreciation coupons, another 10% discount can be had. Starting tomorrow is one of those weekends for Customer Appreciation.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Word is that the 5060 at Costco actually has an 80GB drive inside. Only 60GB is currently used.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
To expand on what Gabriel said, once you've decided you're not going to return the unit, you can pop it open, slap the hard drive on your PC, run some simple software (RTVPatch), and now you've got an 80-hour unit (assuming it's really an 80GB drive inside). Rumor has it if you warm up the "Do not break this seal" sticker with a hair dryer, you can pry it off intact -- just in case you want to re-apply it later to un-deactivate your warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks