Replay 5040 - can USB port be used for network connection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Can the USB ports on the Replay 5040 be used for a network connection? I have a Linksys Wap11 wireless access point, and I'd like to connect the Replay wirelessly. I'd like to connect through the USB port, using a Linksys Wusb11 if it is possible.
    If the USB port can't be used, what are my other options? I've heard of using a Wet11 wireless bridge, but that's getting pretty spendy - $129, which is nearing the price of the Replay unit.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Dave:

Yes, that is one of the reasons for the USB port. Just plug and play with your Linksys.

Parker

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Parker,

Do you mean connect to the router directly with usb? I'm guessing Dave has the wireless router in another room. Does the replay unit have drivers in it to use the usb wireless adapter?

Actually the bridge requires an ethernet port on the device it connects to. The linksys site recommends it for connection xbox'es and playstations to your wireless network.

4. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I am not sure if the 5040 has the USB connection activated or not. Replay doesn't mention this on their web site.

In answer to your question. The USB connection would be to a wireless router. You can go wireless with the ethernet connection but this is a more expensive option.

No drivers are needed to connect it to the USB wireless connection as far as I know. Just plug and play.

Parker

6. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I have a 5040 and a Netgear MA101 USB wireless adapter that I intend to connect to it. Thus a wireless DSL connection via a Netgear MR314 router. My understanding is that support for a network connection via the USB port on the 504o is not yet supported, but an update is expected first quarter 2003. I have yet to setup the 5040.