What's new

Replace Panasonic RP91 w/ Denon 4800? (1 Viewer)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Ofcourse not... when they ask.
So while I was writing my reply about the chroma bug (directly on topic, BTW) I asked myself "Self, you have an RPTV that doesn't lock into full mode, so you don't really use the scaling features of your RP-91 very often, do you?". I thought about it for somewhat less than a second and realized that no, I didn't use the scaling features of my RP-91 very often. So I replied "Self, you are correct, I don't use the scaling features of my RP-91 very often. Do you think there are other people reading this thread that also don't need or use scaling features very often?". I thought about it for a little longer this time, maybe a full second and came to the conclusion that yes, there likely were a number of people reading this thread that didn't need or use scaling very often. So I said "Self, once again I do think you are correct. Do you think any of those people might be interested in another DVD player that doesn't do scaling, but sounds better than the RP-91 or RP-82 and has better video than the RP-91 or 4800?" This time it took me less than half a second to think about it and I replied "Self, yes indeed, I do think that some of those people reading this thread might be interested in such a player, so I think I will mention it as a side note to my main reply in this thread.". I thought this was a good idea so I said "Self, that's a good idea, you go ahead and do that." So I did.

Whew, I'm glad we got that out of the way! For a minute there I thought my little "FWIW" comment, tacked onto my main on-topic reply, might have caused some acrimony.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Your recommendations about the 1600/RP82 were merited, I was simply making clear that the main purpose of this post was to discuss SCALING DVD PLAYERS that may or may not be superior options to the RP91.

But still...

That's a whole lot of talk about something having nothing to do with the thread. Your ramblings about when you talk to yourself are most definitely not needed... and if you are going to ramble about talking to yourself, try not to mix the first, second, and third person quite as much.

I don't mind something being off subject, and I don't mind someone calling me on something I say off subject. When someone becomes rude because they were called on something they said being off subject, it's just uncalled for.

FWIW, you might want to see someone about talking to yourself, or at least find a grammar book. You used "Self" in the third person, "you" and "your" in the second person, and "I" and "my" in the first person.

If a moderator wishes to close this thread, I completely understand, because it has strayed away from the topic. I know my post most likely hasn't done much to bring it back to the topic, but I digress. Another wrong may not make a right, but sometimes it can make a point.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
bit the bullet and ordered one from eCost. The warranty prices have gone down, so I picked up an extra year's warranty. Hope my unit doesn't blink.
:)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since I started this thread I've also become interested in the Bravo D1. It has 1080i and 720p output over DVI which has been reported to give a large step up in PQ (where the 4800 would have the exact same PQ as the RP91). It also has the ability to play DIVX and XVID files which really intrigues me. I've found out from some other D1 owners that it window-boxes 4:3 material, even non-anamorphic widescreen. This combined with the 2x zoom allows for acceptable viewing of non-anamorphic 16:9 movies (I only have about 25). Being on a college campus w/ extremely fast internet access, the DIVX/XVID feature will be very nice, especially since i can fit at least 3 full movies on 1 DVD-R. The player, shipping, and a 3m DVI-D cable from yahoo shopping will put the total around $240, and I believe I can get that or more out of my RP91 on ebay.

If the 4800 had been a single disc player instead of a changer I probably would have jumped on it when I first saw it, but that carousel tray worries me.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Got my 4800 today and it's DOA.

Denon does some terrible, terrible packing on its refurb units. If I sold something on eBay and packed it this poorly, my buyer would hunt me down and skin me-- and rightly so.

It was shipped in a single flimsy plastic bag, which was half-taped shut. One of the styrofoam end pads was utterly destroyed and old as dirt. Something is rattling freely inside the unit. It will power on, but it won't play a disc, show the GUI, or find a menu anywhere. Oh well, off the service center tomorrow!

BTW, I don't blame eCost at all. They came through on their end of the deal. Hope I'm not out of a dvd player for too long. :)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

John G

Agent
sorry to hear that nathan - im not familiar with ecost, but hope you get the product you were promised.

Great posts by all, appreciate all the discussion as i'm getting ready to upgrade myself. Theres some debate in regards to scaler-capable DVD players...my question is this; when would you want to use this capability? The only instance i can think of is a older DVD that doesn't contain a widscreen version - when else?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You would use scaling any time you have a 4:3 (non-widescreen) dvd, i.e. Pan&Scan movies and TV-Shows/anime. Also, you would use scaling for non-anamorphic movies (black bars at top and bottom that are part of the dvd print, not generated by the player. Without the scaling feature, TVs that lock into full mode will automaticly stretch 4:3 and non-anamorphic images, leading to undesirable results. Scaling enabled players let you watch these titles the way they were meant to be seen, even if your TV locks into full/stretch mode.

hope this helps :)

John G

Agent
ahh..so, due to the fact that my mitsu can change scaling (ie zoom, etc) I wouldn't need scaling included in the DVD player then eh?

-sorry to sidetrack this thread btw

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
You haven't sidetracked it, at all. :) My TV allows aspect ratio control on 480i, but anything higher than that locks in full. That's why I'm after a scaling dvd player. As an old tv show junkie (Transformers and Simpsons), I like to see these shows in their proper AR.

I really hope I can get this Denon issue resolved soon.

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have a 4800 that doesn't blink? I'm hoping it's a firmware upgrade rather than a hardware fix.

I like the unit, but this blink thing is a pain. :)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks