What's new

Remote Wonder (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Can the ATI Remote Wonder RF remote be programmed to launch and control any media player? In addition to controlling ATI's own video software I'd like to be able to use it with WMP9 or Media Center for audio playback.

Anyone know? The ATI website is a little vague on this point.

http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/re...der/index.html

Camp

Senior HTF Member
One more thing...

Is there a better alternative to this remote? I just want to control my audio playback on my PC. I don't really want to mess around with Girder. I'm looking for something self-contained.

Duane R

Second Unit
I believe you can program the remote to run about any program you want to. I bought an 9700 AIW last night :D and I'm just now getting around to programming the remote. There's already a plug in for Winamp installed and at this point, I've only partially set up Winamp (will play with it tomorrow). I can toggle through the playlist, skip >, adjust volume, etc. It looks like you can import more plugins as you desire or manually configure each application.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Duane!

Is there a website where you can download plugins for the remote?
I'd like to control Media Center as my playback software of choice.

Duane R

Second Unit
I really haven't had time to see about plugins yet as I've been entertaining guests and it'll probably be a bit later in the week before I can play around with it much. I think the forums at Rage 3D has about any information you could want on the ATI Radeon cards.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I actually heard that ATI is very tight-lipped about how to make plugins and I've heard that theres only like 5 different plugins. However, generally the Remote Wonder will control whatever application is in focus anyway. I also don't know how great of an idea it is to get without an ATI AIW card because alot of the buttons seem to be hardcoded to the ATI Multimedia Center.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
As an alternative, you might check out the Streamzap remote. It is IR, so you will need a line of sight, but it is cheaper than the Wonder and it works with just about every media player (including Windows Media Player) right out of the box.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I was all set to buy the Remote Wonder until I saw that ATI charges $15 to ship the damn thing. Either that's one heavy remote or it comes with a guy to press the buttons for me!

After reading the Rage3D forum (thanks Duane!) it appears ATI is begining to do a better job of allowing individuals make plug-ins. There's also a Girder option for the RW.

I also see that nVidia is bringing out an RF remote as part of an AIW-type product hitting stores soon. However, I don't know if the remote will be sold separately.

Taking into account the outrageous shipping fee for the Remote Wonder I followed TyC's link to the StreamZap. Looks good. USB rather than serial and lots of support options. I'm sold. Thanks for the link.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
No problem. Let me know how that works out for you. I'm purchasing one for my new PC that I'm assembling (due to school, that will probably be in the summer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks