What's new

Region Free DVD Player - JVC XV-FA90 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm considering purchasing this player, which also features PAL to NTSC conversion. I would really appreciate any input from anyone who has experience in using this player. Thank you for your kind input on this matter.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have the essentially similar XVF80B (same unit but without DVD Audio capability). According to the owner's manual it will do a PAL to NTSC conversion and thus will play PAL dvds.
It also states that it will only play PAL discs in interlaced mode.

The player is not multi-region, however.
Region coding and video format are 2 different things.

Region coding prevents discs encoded to only be used in certain parts of the world from playing in other markets, whether they're PAL or NTSC.

PAL is a video format used in most of Europe and Asia other than Japan, NTSC is used in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan.

There are some ntsc dvds that have no region coding, and probably there are some PAL discs that likewise don't have the region code.

The JVC will play PAL, but only if the disc carries region 1 coding or no region coding.

There are modifications available aftermarket to enable multiregion play on the JVC, but I haven't investigated them.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A company called JVB Digital, with an office in Dearborn Michigan sells a Region Free version of this player that has the PAL to NTSC conversion. I was wondering if anyone had experience with that particular player. Thanks for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks