What's new

Reformatting MY Computer HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Well I wil;l be reformatting my computer. starting all over.

heres my problem. I dont know nothing about it. I just want to erase it all and start over from scratch.

Compaq

Windows XP Retail edition

20 GB

Need to know any more then ask :)

Since I am so dumb.lol I will need a full detail, almost step by step so I can print this thread out and go off of my Printout sheet.

Ill be on often today checking back. I know you guys can help me cause you guys always know everything.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Windows XP is bootable CD (this is assuming you have the Full Version and not the upgrade). To format change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that your computer boots off of the Windows XP CD. When the computer restarts it will eventually bring you to a screen that will give you options you need to format.

Now, since you have a Compaq I'm not sure what your BIOS will look like, let alone how to get into it (normally by pressing DEL, F2, or some other key immediately when the PC first boots up).

You can also create XP startup floppy disks (around 5 altogether are needed) to accomplish the same thing and not have to mess with the BIOS. Link

There may be others means to format your harddrive, but I'm not familiar with them. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light.

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, since I've never installed a fresh copy of Windows 95, here are some instructions I found online:

take win95 or win98 bootdisk...place bootdisk in Floppy drive...turn off pc and then turn back on...when booted your pc will load with the files on the bootdisk, If you have a cd rom select the cd-rom option at the "A:> prompt type "fdisk" select the option to remove drive setup...after fdisk run turn pc off with same bootdisk in slot and reboot...again let the bootdisk load all of its files, and if you have a cdrom select the option with cd rom support, and at the a prompt type "format c:"(you can also add the switch " s" to make your drive bootable, it does not matter though as after the drive is completely formatted you will restart your pc again ad run windows setup...if the cd is bootable start with it in the drive..if not restart again with the bootdisk and after it loads type "setup.exe" at the "A" prompt...this should get you going

You can get a bootdisk from this site:
Bootdisk

Edit:

Here are a little more clear instructions

Delete Primary DOS Partition:

1. Boot the computer with the Windows 95 boot disk in the floppy drive.
2. This will boot to the Windows Setup Utility. Press F3 twice to exit Setup.
3. You should then be at an A:> prompt.
4. Type fdisk and then press the Enter.
5. If the system asks you if you want to enable large disk support press Y and then press Enter.
6. Type 3 and then press Enter to Delete Partition.
7. Type 1 and then press Enter to Delete Primary DOS Partition.
8. Type 1 to and then press Enter to delete the Pri-DOS Partition and use the Volume Label listed for it if any.
9. Press the Esc key twice to exit Fdisk.

Create Primary DOS Partition:

1. Restart the computer with the Windows 95 boot disk still in the floppy drive.
2. Press F3 twice to exit Setup.
3. At the a:> type fdisk and then press Enter.
4. Type 1 and then press Enter to Create Partition
5. Type 1 and then press Enter to Create Primary DOS Partition.
6. When asked if you want to make the partition active press Y.
7. Press the Enter key 3 times to create the partition.

Format:

1. Restart the computer with the Windows 95 boot disk still in the floppy drive.
2. Press F3 twice to exit setup.
3. At the a:/> type format /u c: and then press Enter.
4. Press Y when asked if you would like to continue.
5. When asked for a volume label hit Enter.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
You can still boot of the XP upgrade CD. It will just ask you to verify media (orignal 95, 98, etc..) as part of the process. If you still have your 95 CD and setup disk you should be fine.

Before you start check Compaq's web site and make sure that your model PC is fully compatible with XP. Also I would download any Compaq XP drivers for your machine and burn them on a CD. This will make things easier for you once you have installed XP.

Laters,
Jeff

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I reformat XP I just reboot, go into the bios and change first boot from C to CD-rom, save and exit.

It shouldn't ask for Win95-98 media if you do it this way. It doesn't for me.

I've found that the only time I needed win98 media was when I upgraded the HD.

Just make sure you delete the logical partition, and then set up new patitions

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks