What's new

Reducing the Screen Door Effect (1 Viewer)

Lew

Auditioning
Has anyone had any luck with reducing the screen door effect. I have a Sanyo PLV-70 LCD projector using component video input (hopefully to upgrade to DVI soon) displayed on a 108" diag. Dalite screen connected to HD DirecTV.

I notice it mostly when watching CBS-HD. When I watch HDNet channel, I don't see any at all. So, I think it may be a function of the resolution of the transmitted signal, rather than the LCD projector.

Does anyone have any insights about this phenomena?

Thanks.

Lew W.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Screen door is the resolution limit of the projector. Being an LCD projector it is worse. You can either defocus slightly, sit farther away, or buy a better projector...

Lew

Auditioning
This is a very high resolution projector. How do you account for the "non-screen door" on the one channel versus the other channel, which are both at 1080i?

Lew W.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Screen door is solely a function of the pixel grid of the projector. That projector is a relatively high-resolution one, but still it is an LCD projector, which means the SDE visibility is greater than that of 720 DLP projectors, and I would still sit 2x or more from such a dlp, and even more from an LCD at this resolution if I wanted to eliminate SD, coupled with a little bit of defocusing.

If you are only seeing what you call screen-door on certain material, then it is something else you are seeing.

Lew

Auditioning
Maybe it is something else, and I will try defocusing a little and see how that works.

DLP is out of the question, because I don't have a completely dark room to view it in.

Lew W.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

I think you are confusing DLP with CRT. You don't need any better light control for a DLP than you do with an LCD (assuming similar lumens).

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
A very tiny bit of defocusing should help with the SDE. I saw a lot of it at my sitting distance with my X1. Then I defocused just a bit. Now I only see it on the occasional white or very bright scene. I think the nickname for that is peekaboo screen door effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks