What's new

recv for b&w 600 speakers (1 Viewer)

greg_bun

Grip
Which would be the 'best' receiver for B&W 600 series speakers (602,601)?

I have been looking at Denon 1803 or 2802, HK 325, Pioneer V912, Panasonic HE200. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks for any input.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Greg:

I use to have the 600s (much earlier series and I have auditioned the Series 3 in my search for my own HT set-up). They are very smooth and very accurate, but very much on the laid back side. I would suggest a brighter receiver such as a Yamaha 1300, or a more detailed one such as the NAD 742, both of which are in the same price range as the H/K on your list. You really need something that will balance the sound of the B+Ws.

Of the receivers on your list, I really like the H/K 325, but it is all wrong for your speakers. H/K has a very beautiful and warm, laid back sound, and you would probably find that it was a bad match for your speakers (way too warm and even a bit fuzzy when paired with the B+Ws). I have my own prejudices against the Pioneer and the Panasonic (built only to a price point to provide features at the expense of good sound, and what is a receiver supposed to provide but good sound). Furthermore, IMHO, the Pioneer is also too warm and fuzzy for your speakers. If you are locked in to your list of receivers only, I recommend the Denon 2802. Best power and good detail for the B+Ws.

My 2 cents . . .

Good luck

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
My buddy went with 601s all around and the 60 center channel. On my advice he mated the speakers with a Yamaha RXV-630. He loves the setup (sounds great IMHO). Yamaha and B&W are a very good match.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have a 600 Series 2 setup (602/601/LCR6). I had them paired with a Pioneer Elite 26TX for a while, then a Marantz SR-7200, and finally went to a Marantz SR-8200.
I am very happy with the Marantz/B&W combo. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: The only receiver I preferred over the 8200 was the $2500 Rotel, but that was about a $1000 more than I was willing to spend. If you are going to spend that much, you should go the seperates route!

Pete

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Greg I have the CDM 9nt's now and used to have the 604's paired with my Denon 3803. I think it sounded pretty darn good, I should add that I am with Peter and B&W and Rotel make a great match as well- but the Rotel gear is quite a bit more than you were looking at.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
I am currently running the Denon 2802 with my 604's, LCR6, and 602 surrounds and am very happy with music and movies.

I previously had Parasound separates (2205AT amp & 2500u pre-pro)with the same speaker setup but finances forced me to sell the separates and go with the Denon receiver.:angry:

I was surprised by how subtle the difference in sound was. The preamp was obviously more detailed and had a smoother midrange and that beast of an amp had better control over the woofers, but not by a very large margin.

The Denon can play loud enough to make your ears ring without distorting and sounds great with DVD-Audio discs(I don't have an SACD player yet)as well. I'm not sure what your budget is but if it's around 500 bucks, the 2802 should be on your short list.

rin

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've auditioned the B&W 600 Series 3 line with Denon receivers and also Rotel amps. Either way, the match is a good one! :D

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks