What's new

Recovering lost footage from It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Jordan Newell White
Dear Robert A. Harris,

I seem to look at the Criterion Blu-Ray of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and it states that you've managed to reconstruct and restore a 197 minute version of the film closer to it's roadshow release and it's been put through a high definition transfer, which I would take over standard definition but not really as good as 4K. Now I seem to feel your pride a little bit, because I had to wait and you had to work for 15 or even 22 years just to recover all the footage you intend to put back in, and it must have been a pain in the honey buns for you, because some of the footage was just crumbling away. But would anyone buy it? I mean, it wouldn't even make it for the life of humanity on Redbox, Netflix, Hulu, Google Play, or iTunes. The people in those markets only seem to care about the hot TV shows and all they want to see in the theater are 4 types of movies: movies based of of Marvel comic books, movies that are sequels to an existing franchise, movies based off of young adult novels, and the occassional animated film. Are you serving an underserved market? Are you even proud of the lost footage that you recovered, restored, and put back in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World? Did you work with Fotokem on this?

Regards,

Jordan White

Real Name
Jordan Newell White
I apologize. I'm high functioning autistic, meaning I take a lot of things way too personally and blow things way out of proportion. It's basically the environment around me and reading a whole bunch of BoxOfficeMojo pages and articles about the "death of DVD" and "the dominance of streaming" I'm sorry to anyone who thought my comments were wrong and false, that is sometimes the way I think and I need to know that I must resort to what is always the truth, trusted sources like my parents. I was just asking Mr. Robert A Harris a question. He's on this forum, now, isn't he?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes he is on the forum.

I get the HF Autism. You might clue people into that(even as an asterisk...written word loses context).

RAH(as he is known) can probably decipher your query...now that there is a baseline to go by(provided he seed this)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, when I was in high school we had an autistic guy in our class who was big into Drama(bad pun...and I mean the department anyway...but yeah..."Autistic kid that likes Drama"...)

For our end of year "student talent show"(yes my HS had one of those) led a skit with 5 other students...spoofing, of all things...

The Scarlet Letter.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Oh, excuses, excuses. Things no one ever even heard of in the not-too-far-off past are common excuses now.

What's my excuse?!

I'm always over the top and emotional around here, but I never thought of blaming it on some diagnosis du jour. It's just ME, that's all.

Having said that, I'd like to make some unsolicited and unwanted responses to the original post (as far as I can make it out):

1) I couldn't care less if young people want to see a movie that's fifty years old. This isn't for them! It's for the number of people who want it, and if it's less than a million out of the current world population of 7,122,194,300 (as of 10:00 P.M. GMT today), so what?

2) So it's not as good as 4K. So it's just a mere Blu-ray. Everything seems strange to me in these strange days. What's strange about home video is that that DVD was touted as looking so great compared to video tape, but it looks blurry compared to Blu-ray, which was touted as being so great -- but which is now considered crap compared to 4K, which we all know will be crap when 6K and 8K and 100K come along, and they will!

3) It was asked, "Will anyone buy it?" No, not a single person in the world will buy it. Not one. They'll manufacture it and put it up for sale and they won't sell one copy. Well, actually, they'll sell one, because I'm getting it. But I'm nobody, so I don't count.

Oh, I have more to say, but I'm not up to it now. I need to lay down for a while. :mellow:

Danny Burk

Second Unit
schan1269 said:
By the way, when I was in high school we had an autistic guy in our class who was big into Drama(bad pun...and I mean the department anyway...but yeah..."Autistic kid that likes Drama"...)

For our end of year "student talent show"(yes my HS had one of those) led a skit with 5 other students...spoofing, of all things...

The Scarlet Letter.
Did they get straight A's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks