What's new

Recording Laserdisc on to DVD connect with S-Video or Composite output? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have to aggree with Mattias. I think I'd wait for better DVD recorders to come along before I'd back-up LD's. The picture quaity to time will proably improve. If I were recording LD's I'd want the sound to be PCM. When a DVD recorder suppourts PCM, I could start to get serious about it. These early recorders look OK to archieve analog home videos or TV shows but the sound issues on LD are biggies for me.
If your LD's haven't rotted by now, they were well-made and proably aren't imminent to start rotting now. I wonder if 5.1 recording will ever be suppourted on stand-alone recorders? Maybe not? If it was, the dark side of my imagination is envisioning proprietary discs and yet another device with 6 analog outputs, ugh!
I think if you really want to back-up LD's it would behoove your cause to aqquire a CLD-97, 99, or LD-S9 for playback. Other players will introduce alot of video noise. Right now is a good time to trade up to a better LD player, me thinks. Then you'll be ready when the better DVD recorders trickle out. That's my thinking anyway and I want a DVD recorder too.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Graves

Agent
Grant,

When copying LV's to DVD you will NOT be able to copy 5.1 audio. The current DVD Recorders (3rd generation?), record AC3 2.0 audio only. For copying purposes, you'll be required to use either the PCM or Analog audio outputs from your LV player. The copy will be only the audio 'track' you select (but no 5.1); yes, recording is 'real time' and quality of your copy will depend upon the quality of the source and the player. I'd agree with Rachael regarding the players to use.

By the way, the Pioneer PRV-9000 has a recording 'setting' titled "LDP".

Rachael,

Are you waiting for DVD recorders with a 2-hour record speed that matches the quality of the current recorders 1-hour speed? I'm just wondering what weaknesses you find in the current recorders, other than the 1-hour limit (OK, and lack of 5.1 or PCM) for 'best' quality recordings?

Good Viewing,

John G

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The DMR-E20 uses a 3D comb filter and 3D noise reduction which, at least theoretically, could rival even the Pioneer Elite players. Even if I were using an Elite player, I'd probably test it both ways before deciding that comb filter (or even the noise reduction) the Elite would be better.

Remember, despite the fact that new models of high-end laserdisc players have not been introduced in YEARS, that comb filter R&D continues, making sure that better and better (and cheaper) circuits are available for televisions (and now, recorders).

Remember, one of the goals of these recorders are to make the copies look better than the original (especially for VHS), and good processing is the key to achieving this goal.

Also remember that dot crawl and noise causes the MPEG-2 encoder to waste effort and bits encoding something that should not be in the picture anyway.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, I'm waiting for longer recording at top "speed", more audio options and inputs and outputs, better user interface, and I especially want PCM sound for DV camcorders and LD players. Of course, I want a lower price too. I have beaucoups of S-VHS home videos I'd like to archieve. They can wait a bit longer, as can the LD's. I'm being very patient about this. Best wishes!

John Graves

Agent
Thanks, Rachael. I can't argue with any of your reasons for waiting. Frankly, I suspect you'll see the recorders at half their current price by next January. In fact, the way these machines are set up makes it clear to me that they are intended to REPLACE our VCR's with dvd recorders. Since the software cost has now dropped to $5 for DVD-R's from apple, I took the plunge and bought the Pioneer PRV-9000. Yes, it's pricey. But the recordings on DVD-R look great, particularly the firewire dubs.

Good Viewing,

John G

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
well i jumped into the dvd r/rw pool. got a sony tower with one from ubid for a little over $1000 (retail $3200).

its maxed out.. so should last a while.

comes with all the video editing sw too. they have more for auction (refurbs)...and for a couple of hundred dollars more than a tower with only a cd r/rw drive, not too bad!

I have a 300 mega changer that i would like to put some lds (copied onto dvds) in. For instance;I have clerks on ld and all the rest of kevins smith movies on dvd, in the changer...it will be nice to have them all in a row on the changer (AND I AM NOT COMPULISIVE ABOUT THIS!)

grant

John Graves

Agent
Hi Grant,
I'd be interested in reading about your experiences in dubbing LD's, etc with a computer-based system. Specifically, I'm curious about the time it takes to capture/encode/and burn an LD to DVD.
Because I have a potential business use, I almost went that route but decided to hold off on the computer for a while. A stand-alone, in my case the Pioneer, meets my business needs for now and allows me to easily archive all those episodes of SG-1 and Babylon 5 that I've been collecting. ;) I tried my hand at editing tv episodes on the computer and outputting as SVCD's. Because computer editing allowed me to replace the commercial breaks with disolves, I was able to eliminate the jarring transitions that often result from "editing on the fly with the Pause Button". Very Nice. However, the time involved in the capture/edit/encode/burn process made the process cumbersome.
Good Viewing,
John G

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
John

My computer has not been delivered yet....hopefully a week or so.

Why don't you take down my email address and send me a note in a month or 2. Hopefully by that time I am not beating my head against a wall in disgust (why yes, I am an optimist....half full or half empty?

don't know cause I just kicked it over DDDOOOOHHH)

Anyways wish me luck and I'll let you know

grant

John Graves

Agent
Thanks, Grant. Will do.

At the same time, I've gathered quite a bit of information regarding the creation of DVD's using the A-03 burner (called 'Superdrive' on the Apple), and am happy to share it. I suspect within 5 years DVD burners will be as commonplace in computers as CD burners are today. My decision to go with a stand-alone was simply a "quickest, easiest way to create DVD's" decision.

Good Viewing,

John G

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks