Recording Laserdisc on to DVD connect with S-Video or Composite output?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lane F., Nov 29, 2001.

1. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm backing up several of my laserdisc movies onto dvd using the Panasonic DMR-E20 standalone DVD Recorder. Now, I know it is usually better to connect a LD player to your TV via composite (as the comb filter in newer TV's will be better than the comb filter in laserdisc players).

But does anyone know if this holds true when connecting a LD player to a DVD recorder? Would it be better to output the laserdisc player's picture via S-Video or Composite to the DVD-Recorder for copying?

Thanks!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The same rules apply. Is the comb filter in the DVD recorder better than the one in the LD player? Probably. If so, use composite. If you have a CLD-99 (like me[​IMG]) use S-Video, otherwies I would use composite.

3. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Hey Lane well was just gonna give you a answer but looks like someone beat me to it [​IMG]

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Ditto what Philip said. The comb filter in your DVD player is probably better... unless you have a CLD-97/99 or better like we do. [​IMG]

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Help me out here, folks. What’s the point of “backing up” a laser disc? Isn’t that about as necessary as backing up a CD?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The point is that LD players won't last forever, and if you have some LDs that probably won't see the light of day, and when the LD player dies, well, the LDs become nice shiney discs unless you migrate them to another, more current format.

7. Lane F.

Thanks for the help guys. The player is a combo dvd/ld dvl-919. I'm guessing that the dvd-recorder would have a better comb filter than this model, right?
    As far as why I am backing the lasers up, the player I own (the 919 is a friends that I'm borrowing) is already on its last legs. And who know's when I'll see Darby O'Gill and the Little People or Bedazzled (1967), and many other titles on DVD...

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

9. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    As for another reason to do this..lest we forget..

LASER ROT!!!!!!!

You can have a hundred players...rot get's a disc...tis finished.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Aren't there some patterns on A Video Standard that would help figure out which has the better comb filter?

//Ken

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Tests useful for comb filters, on A Video Standard.
    Test pattern with big circle in the middle and small circles at the corners. Observe upright wedges (brooms) used for resolution. There should not be rainbow swirls, and the clearer the converging lines especially at the narrow end, the better.
    Color bar test patterns. You want the one with maximum saturation, I forget which one this is. Observe for freedom from serrated edges where the colors meet (freedom from dot crawl).
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

12. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Lane F., I really think you maybe could wait a couple of year. Then the dvd recorder should have improved.

-Mattias-

13. Lane F.

Mattias,

Actually I am very pleased with my Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD-Recorder. It is as easy to use as a VCR and the recording quality is very good. The only thing I wish it had was a digital input to record 5.1 audio...

14. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Lane, I am really glad that this thread exists, because I am considering the purchase of the Panasonic unit you own, but can't find answers to some of my questions, even on the Panasonic web site! My understanding is that only 4.7 gig discs are available (so far) for DVD-R recording, and that, at the "Best quality" setting, only about an hour of video can be recorded. My question would be: have you experimented with various recording "speeds" or compression levels to see what the differences are in quality between the 1-hour mode and the 2-hour mode? Would a transfer of a laser to DVD look as good as the original laser at the two-hour mode? The blanks are so expensive right now that using two or three discs for each transfer of a laser would be fairly prohibitive. Also: When you "pause" the recording, then unpause, or play, do you get a glitch-free edit? In other words, would removing a side break on a laser or eliminating a commercial break from a satellite broadcast using "pause" create any disruption in the image, or is it as smooth as the edit using a VHS flying erase head? Finally, can you create chapter stops using only the outboard DMR-E20 unit, or do you have to feed the data into a computer for this manipulation? I'd be most grateful for any information, and thanks in advance.

15. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Lane, any more insight into this DVD recorder? Have you seen my other thread about a problem with the DVD-R copy made on the DMR-E20 being too bright in the "blacks" compared to the original? What all other brands of players have you played your DVD-R's on without problems?

thanks

Jim

16. Lane F.

Dick:
    First of all I dont notice much of any quality loss from 1 to 2 hr (XP -> SP) recording mode. Its once you go to the 4 hour (LP) mode that you can see a difference from the original.
    Using the pause button to eliminate side breaks and commercials is 100% perfect. It is as smooth as can be when you playback the dvd-r. The only thing to be carefull with is not to forget to pause, or else you will have a nice long black screen while the player is changing sides... [​IMG]
    As far as chapters go, they are automatically inserted every 5 minutes after the disc is finalized.
    Jim:
    I too did notice that the copy turns out a tad lighter than the original, making the blacks not quite as dark as they were intended to be. Not much you can do about this, but I didn't find it too bad during playback, was only really noticable when doing A-B comparison.
    I have only played back discs on my Pioneer DV-C503 and Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD Players. So far both these units seem to playback the DVD-R's quite well.
    On a side note:
    I recently did have a problem with several of my discs pixilating and locking up on the screen, but these are a different brand than I have been using regularly. So later this week I will order some of the other brand I've used before to try and figure out if its the recorder or generic media causing these problems...
    Hope that helps!
    Lane

17. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

18. John Graves

John Graves Agent

Hi Folks,

This is my first post in a long, long time.

1. The Pioneer PRV-9000 allows adjustment of recording parameters for each input (tuner, s-video, composite, dv). In addition, several presets and 3 custom modes are available for playback settings.

2. Record mode input adjustments include: Prog.Motion; 3-D Y/C; Detail; White AGC; White Level; Black Level; Black Setup; Hue; and Chroma Level. In addition, Noise Reduction modes for recording include Rec YNR, and Rec CNR.

3. Playback mode video adjustments include: Prog. Motion; Pure Cinema; YNR; CNR; QNR; Sharpness High; Sharpness Mid; Detail; White Level; Black Level; Black Set-Up; Hue, Chroma Level; and...CHROMA DELAY!

With all of these adjustments, you should be able to compensate for incorrect black/white levels.

3. I'd agree completely about recording LV from Composite UNLESS you have an outstanding Comb Filter in your LV Player. Pioneer's CLD-99 qualifies as outstanding, IMHO.

4. Laser Rot is an excellent reason to dub your LV's to DVD. I can't tell you how many of my discs have 'gone bad' over the years. (Hint: I suspect the glue which seals the discs do not like high humidity areas).

5. Both DVD-R, and DVD-RW's recorded on the 9000 played perfectly on a Panasonic DVD-A120, Pioneer DV-05, Pioneer PVD-LC20(portable), Pioneer DV-434, and a Sony DVD-Rom in one of my office computers. The only 'failure' was via a 2nd generation DVD player from Mitsubishi.

Good Viewing,

John G

19. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Thanks, Lane! If you're still there, two other questions:

There is a "variable" speed mode on this unit. Can you set it for any running time of a movie you want to transfer, and the machine automatically finds the best quality running speed for the entire feature? Also, have you tried various brands of blanks and found some to be better than others? I see I can get some generic ones for less than five bucks on the net, or pay up to fifteen each for brands like TDK. Thanks again.

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I am right on the edge of getting a recordable DVD Drive and have a few questions hopefully someone might be able to answer

I have been looking at sony viao's since i have heard that not all recordable DVDs work on every dvd player...I have a sony dvd mega changer (860). I know this jump in logic doesn't always work... but it seems like a safe bet the two will 'interface'...right????

When recording LDs, if the disc is 5.1 then the DVD RW has the same (i assume) but is it has a analog commentary; do you need to pick the audio or will it record everything?

Can you add text to dvds rw so a megachanger will automatically input the text??

I assume recording lds will take 'real time' and the better the source ld player, the better the dvd.Correct?

thanks for what ever you can answer

Grant