What's new

Reconfirm my decision (Klipsch, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony HS10) (1 Viewer)

Brian King

Auditioning
I just got back from a visit from a local HI-FI, one-man-shop, who when I talked about adding a second sub, almost laughed me out of the room. He then went on to explain (for an hour) that the market is saturated with low grade junk that is passed off as being high end. Of course, I sat theere and agreed with him for the whole lecture.
So now I feel substandard for buying equipment I considered entry level for High end. I have the Klipsch Synergy series floors, center, rears, and the Klipsch 12" sub. I am running a Yamaha RX-V596 receiver and the Pioneer DV-333. My immediate plans include the addition on the Sony 61HS10.
Please tell me this guy is a crazed lunitic and the equipment I have and am buying is good stuff.
crazy.gif

------------------
Brian

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
You know those guys that always seem to have done something you did, only better?
He sounds like one.
I'd say everything you listed is a good choice. not a good best buy budget choice, but a good 'high end consumer' choice.
Sure, it's not a Rotel, McIntosh, or one of those cost = how many letters in the name type, but for what us slightly above average people want, they're perfect.
My hardware list includes: Sony Wega 36" (Hopefully to be replaced by either a 65" Sony XBR or a VH11T one day), Sony E9000ES Pre-Amp, N9000ES Amp, Sony 7700 DVD and the Klipsch Reference speakers & KSW-15" Klipsch Sub.
------------------

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure but I plan on purchasing a Yamaha HTR-5250 from www.jandr.com
I really don't want to spend over $600 for a receiver.
I'm also going to get (2) Yamaha subwoofers.
I already have (2) Mirage left and right front speakers and (2) Radio Shack left adn right rear speakers.
I'll get a Mirage or some other center speaker later.

Brian King

Auditioning
Thanks, Tom. I needed that! He had some NAD and Sony ES equipment and I saw several Boston Acoustic and Matrox speakers. WHat blew me away was he also had one of those outdoor rock speakers. I don't know about you, but I've never heard of any High-End Rock Speakers. Who knows. Anyway, I like MY stereo and I don't care what any self proclaimed audiophile says!
Thanks again, Tom. Now back to the show!!
------------------
Brian

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Which floors did you get?I have the sf-2 and love them.I chose to get a set of sb-1 ones for rears instead of the ss-1 but if i ever go 6 or 7.1 i will probably use the ss-1 for side channels and the current sb-1 for the rears.I love the sc-1.
For a grand,I do not think I could have done much better,sf-2,sc-1 and sb-1...great setup.
I went with svs for my sub though.
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Brian King

Auditioning
I also have the SF-2's. I really fought with the decision over the Reference Series. But as fate would have it, the more expensive speakers sounded a bit muffled to me and didn't project the clear sound of the Klipsch. So I ended up with the SF-2's, SC-1 (center), and the KSB-1.1 for the rears. I chose the KSB-1.1's because they more acurately represented what I considered satellite speakers or rear channels. If I ever go to the 6.1 or 7.1 setup, I'll prob use these for the surrounds and go with the SB's for the rears. I also chose the Klipsch sub just to stay in the family. Now I'm considering the SVS sub as well, or another KSW-12.
Anyway, I was a little turned of by this dealer's comments and thought I'd get some support from some other HT owners.
So how do you like your SVS? Which size did you get? I have a 15'X 26' room. Think I can get away with the 31 and the KSW-12? OR would you go with another Klipsch sub?
------------------
Brian

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have the 25-31cs.
I felt like the only thing better about the ref line was more oomph...i let my svs handle the ooomph.
i forgot to mention,i have the dv333 also
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
forgot to mention...i love my svs.my room is 16x18 and it does a fine job.for a larger room you might want a second but tag team it with the other sub and i think you should be happy.
i am currently using an old yamaha reciever to power the svs and i would like to get an amp for it now.
------------------

Nick O

Auditioning
I own the Yamaha 595 and find it slightly under powered for my speakers but should be a perfect match for high effeciency speakers like klipsh. I also own a theta CASA NOVA and find that the difference between super high end and entry level equipment is like going from 80%-100% and does not usually correspond to the price difference 600$-4000$(&amps2000$more) Instead of worriing about the quality of your equipment, maximize its potential with speaker placement and sound proofing. I have heard 250,000$ systems that were horribly misplaced in the room and poorly calibrated that could not reproduce sound as pleasing or spacially correct as my small kitchen theatre with the yamaha 595 small bookshelf sized speakers and a 200 watt 12" sub. Altough not as loud, my system had smoother quicker bass and a more neutral realistic sound especially in its spacial quality.

Mike_P

Agent
Sounds to me like the dealer violated the first law of electronics sales: Never put down the customer's equipment. You probably won't go back to that guy for a long, long time, if ever. What it all eventually works down to is what you like, what you can afford, what the wife approves of (never discount the WAF - Wife Approval Factor), etc.
I subscribe to Home Theater Magazine and Sound and Vision to find out about new equipment that's out there. I also visit this site and avscience. You can always find somebody who has better equipment and somebody who has worse. I look at what the the magazines, websites, and dealers say as a starting point, but I decide what I like and what I can afford. Almost all the equipment I have shows up in Home Theater Magazine under "Budget Gear". I laugh when they are talking about a thousand dollar receiver as "budget equipment".
The salesman where I bought my home theater stuff must not have been napping during the sales seminars. When I said we wanted to go listen to Def Tech speakers before we bought the Paradigms we were looking at with him, he said fine. He didn't say, "Def Techs aren't any good." or give us a big lecture. So we went and listened to the Def Techs and came back and bought the Paradigms. He didn't make us feel like his opinion was the only one, or the most important one. I hate arrogant, know-it-all salesmen, and I will not do business with one. There are lots of places to buy equipment, and lots of different kinds, too. If some sales guy wants me to spend my money in his store (and pay his salary), he better treat me with respect and courtesy, or I'll head for the door.
Your equipment sounds fine to me and I'm sure you enjoy it. If you like it and you're happy, that's all that really matters in my book.
Mike P.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I agree with mike.I finally found a good sales man.He never asks me"you wanna take this home tonight" he knows when i make up my mind i will buy from him if that store carrys/can order what ever it is i want.
i have spent hours with him,first looking at speakers and latley at rptv.we usually do a fair amount of bs'ing,he lets me play with all the knobs and says if i break it..they are there to fix it.
he also knows what he is selling,a big plus in my book.
------------------

Westly T

Second Unit
I have 2 systems, and I used the Synergy series in my bedroom. I have the KSB 3.1's for the mains, KSB 1.1 for the rears, and the KSC-C1 for the center. For the sub I'm using an old Optimus 12" Passive Sub powered off an old Kenwood amp. I've be very happy with the sound, it's very clear and sharp. It can be fatiguing after prolonged listening, but I enjoy the sound. Considering your Yamaha has a warmer, smoother sound then my Sony STR-DB930, I'm sure you get very good sound.
I also have a SVS 16-46PC in my main system and it does blow away the other subs. You hear and feel things my other subs can't come close to in this price range. My Polk PSW-650 is a good sub, but can't compete with the SVS. I'm sure the SVS would give you much more then the Klipsch sub, so I'd recommend you give it a try. You probably don't need the 16-46, as the smaller ones should be plenty.
My down stairs system uses the following speakers:
Magnepan 1.6QR's for the music mains, Polk RT-800's for the HT mains, Polk RT-55's for the rears, and a Polk CS-400 for the center. I use a SVS 16-46PC and my old Polk PSW-650 for subs. There are also 8 bass shakers installed in the furniture with X10 control to turn them on and Off.
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks