What's new

Recommendations wanted for an $800 or less DVD player (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Time to upgrade from my pioneer DV-525 player.

I do not need onboard decoding.
No chroma bug is very important
Would really like to minimize the layer transition pause!
SCAD/DVD-A would be nice, but not required.
Progressive scan (while my current tv is not HD, I will get one eventually).

Any opinions?

I would really like to stay below $800, but can go as high as $1000 is you really think it warrants it (including shipping and sales tax if applicable--CA)

you can click below to see all my current gear if that would help. Eventually I will be going to 7.1, so the onkyo may get upgraded to an outlaw.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, based on Norm's posting pattern, I would assume that by "less", he meant a lower price.
Some progressive-scan players to consider are the Denon DVD-1600, Panasonic DVD-RP91, Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700, and Rotel RDV-1080. All of them are compatible with the DVD-Audio format, and they don't show the chroma bug. It is well known around here that the Denon, Kenwood, and Panasonic players do not show the chroma bug, but someone said here recently that the Rotel doesn't either. The Rotel player is an older model that started out around $1500, however, dealers now sell it for under $1000. Note that the Kenwood player is a five-disc carousel changer, while the other three are single-disc players. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on the Denon, Kenwood, and Panasonic players and www.rotel.com for more on the '1080.

A

Anthony_Gomez

any opinion on the NAD DVD players?
They are coming out with a new player
I haven't seen any info on NAD and Chroma bugs.
http://www.nadelectronics.com
I will look into those you listed. Thanks
EDIT:
I looked up the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 on Crutchfield, and it says it has bass managment (presumably through the 5.1 outputs) I checked on that site and kenwoods and couldn't find even a manual to state what frequency(s) this was. ideas?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you liked the Pioneer, even with the chroma bug, try the Pioneer Elite DV 47a...

And "less" (cheaper) is the forthcoming 45a.

DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, (MP3?)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, I am not familiar with the NAD players and do not know if they show the chroma bug. NAD players don't get a lot of talk here, but you might want to do a search.
Also, the subject of bass management on the Kenwood Sovereign '5700 came up in another thread recently. See the following thread and note a post by Lewis Besze:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=78864
You also might want to do a search for the '5700, as their might be more information out there.
Finally, regarding Pioneer, you might also want to consider the forthcoming DV-656A. It is up on Pioneer's web site, and it will retail for $329. The '656A will not play SACDs, just DVD-Audio discs.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I just bought a Denon 1600 three weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. All things considered though, I would have gone with the Kenwood if I had $800 to blow on a player. I just don't "need" a changer, and you have to "need" things when you have two kids and have to justify extra expenses to your wife.:frowning: Through a connection of my brother's, I got the Denon for $390, and at that price, I doubt there's a better player in the world.
Both the Kenwood and the Denon would get my vote. Whatever you choose, enjoy!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Thanks.

I am pretty sure that I will get the Panasonic DVD-RP91K since it does most of what I want and it doesn't have the chroma bug.

My last question is: How bad/good is the player when it comes to the layer transition?

Thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, the Denon '1600 doesn't show the chroma bug. I would compare it to the Panasonic 'RP91 if you can. The '1600 got high marks on the Secrets to Home Theater web site recently, both for audio and video. The review focused more on the video side, but the '1600's audio capabilities were mentioned. Denon has an excellent reputation for audio, so it would not surprise me if the '1600 were a better audio component than the 'RP91. The 'RP91 is built better, however, since the '1600 is based on a budget Panasonic player ('RP56).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,
The Kenwood's BM centered around the 100hz lp/hp frequency turning point, ,which would be very good for your set up, based on my own listening session afforded by you.
DVD-A would be something of improvement of your Blue Man Group DVD-A,you adore,compare to the DTS/DD tracks[I dig it too,I bought it after the visit of your place].
Yes I would choose this player over the Pana 91,or check out the Denon 1600 like Keith said.
Good Luck!

MikeM

Screenwriter
What about the Link Removed that will be released in about two weeks?
Seems to have all the options you want, and won't have any Chroma bug (it's a Panasonic.)
DVD-RP82
Hi-Speed Progressive-Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player with DVD-RAM, CD-R/RW, MP3 and WMA Playback
MSRP $279.95
I just can't see the point of spending $800 for a DVD player. That's just me, but I've seen $1000 audio CD players, and can't tell the difference at all.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, to each his own. On the right system, which is not necessarily astronomical in price, the difference in sound quality between a $300 CD player and a $1000 CD player is striking. Likewise, on a good system, I feel the difference in sound quality between the Denon '1600 and Panasonic 'RP82 would be obvious. Just a hunch I have. I haven't heard the 'RP82 yet, but I have a lot of experience with budget Panasonic players, so I kind of know what to expect. Don't get me wrong though. The 'RP82 will probably be a good performer for the money, however, I don't expect it to compete with the '1600 for audio. On the video side, the two players will probably be close. Panasonic has does a great job in that department. Anyway, just my $0.02 on the whole thing. :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Ended up getting the RP91 last night from JandR for ~$470 shipped 2 day fed-ex. The $330+ I saved over the Kenwood can be used on my next upgrade!!
Thanks guys
Lewis: I moved the sub around and did some better adjustmets. Much better integration then when you came before. You can locate the sub just slightly more than before on tracks, but the integration is much better. And the room mode that you heard on the double bass with the STing DVD is gone. I have been using Diana Krall Live in Paris to test that out=) The only trade off was that I lost a bit of room gain, but it was worth it to me:D
Perhaps you'd like to swing on by some other time and give it another whirl=)...oh, I also moved the couch a little more forward and the imaging when way up imo=:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have the Panny RP91, and the layer change is okay (there is a pause, but it's not earthshattering awful). But I do miss the lack of layer change pause on my old Proscan PS8260Z (but it had chroma bug up the wazoo, so I gladly traded a longer layer change pause for better video quality).

The only other bugaboo of the RP91 is the lack of time remaining display.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

Congratulations on your purchase. Have you tried out DVD-Audio yet?

Jack,

Doesn't the Sony 'NS900V show the chroma bug? Recent Sony players do. Anthony was looking for a player without it.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Patrick, I have the Pioneer 525 and the layer change bugs me...but I read a bit ago that there is a pause on the Panny, but it isn't much. Hopefylly less than the Pioneer.
Keith, I have not tried it out yet, but I will when it comes it and get everything all wired up! I have 2 DVD's that are 5.1DD/DTS and one has a DVD-A track. Can't wait to hear the Blue Man Group in DVD-A!!!!
...might be time to find more DVD-A disks after listening:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, sorry. I thought you had the 'RP91 already. I missed the whole "last night at J&R" part. What kind of music do you like? Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Eagles Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Metallica Metallica ("The Black Album") are excellent discs. They all easily beat the CD versions, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks