What's new

Equipment for a basement theater (1 Viewer)

cokewithvanilla

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Naturally when starting a project like this, someone would have a whole bunch of questions. I have been extremely frustrated by the many issues that I am encountering. Most revolve around price. It certainly seems like you pay for what you get. It is not that I am trying to be cheap, it is that I am trying to be reasonable. I want something that will sound very nice, without breaking the bank.

I believe I have already decided on the projector. Sony VPL-VW50. It is probably the only 1080p projector in its price range. I can easily get one for around $3,700. I would only like to spend $5,000 on the rest of the theater.

I found some products, but the problem is finding a very good set of speakers in the $2,000 price range. Currently I am looking at something that costs a little over $3,000, and I am not sure I want to spend that much. The system is the Axiom Audio Epic Grand Master 500 7.1. I have looked at the Epic 80 350, which is roughly the same price, but for the room size I was told it was unnecessary, and it would require a more expensive receiver.

So here is what I am looking at:

16 x 19 x 8 room, that is not built yet. I am going to build it with flex pipe in the walls, and some sound proofing. I plan on spending $5000 or less on everything (it will be a 7.1 system), excluding the projector.

I have looked into Pioneer Elite, Integra, Onkyo, and Denon for recievers. Denon is way too expensive, Pioneer Elite only gives me one choice, Integra gives me about 2 choices, and Onkyo seems to offer the best system for the dollar. Of course, I cannot just look at specifications, I need to look at quality, what would you all recommend? It has to have 1080p, 7.1, all the DTS things (theres like 6 of em) and should at least have a THX logo on it. I know the THX logo is of little importance, but it makes me feel better just having it there.

As for speakers, I have chosen Axiom, but I don't think I can get them for a penny under $3,000. Does anyone have an idea for a good 7.1 speaker system that will never have to be replaced, and cost $2,000? or at least under $3,000? And are Axiom all that great?

The projector: I don't think I have a choice. The HC5000 has a cheaper MSRP than the VPL-VW50, but I cannot find one anywhere, except the manufacturer.

I want an electronic screen to mount into the ceiling. I don't know how expensive there are, but I want it to be as large as possible for the room size, without it been too large. any recommendations?

Axiom offers speaker cable for $.90 a foot, and blue jeans offers it for $.40. Pretty much the least of my worries, but any recommendation will help.

Speaker mounts. If I am not to get Axiom, which offers 39 dollar wall mounts, the speakers need to be mountable for cheap. I am sick of seeing $200 speaker mounts! I am not going to pay $800 to mount my rear speakers!!

Surge protectors. I understand I need good ones. The projector will be mounted on the ceiling, through drywall, so its likely I will need a separate surge protector that will last forever. Ideas?

Dvd Upconverter. I am afraid I am going to have to cut corners here, and I am not goig to get an HD dvd player. hd dvd players run $350-$400, and upconverters run $150. So any idea on an upconverter?

I plan to have all my equipment under the stairs, and I will leave an empty section in the drywall for the equipment to stick out. Any suggestions on shelving that will help keep the equipment spaced out, and cool?

Have I missed anything? I would hate to get into the project and not have everything required.

I have read a tutorial on how to put the room together, suggesting two layers of drywall, sound proofing insulation, flex pipe throughout, and to have an essentially air tight room. It has a bunch of other suggestions that I cannot remember at this moment. I am not going to spend a crap load extra on building the room, but any suggestions on where to get this stuff, and what to get? Also, are two layers of drywall really necessary?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Excellent choice on projector, though if you don't have any 1080p sources I would question why you would need a 1080p projector? In any case, here you go, a dream 7.1 system on a $5,000 budget, including a 1080p source.

Front Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 7 ($650)
Center: Paradigm CC-370 ($300)
Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-370 ($650)
Rear Surrounds: Paradigm Mini Monitor ($400)
Subwoofer: SVS PB12–Plus ($900)
Speaker Stands: For the surrounds ($300)

Total: $3,200

Receiver: Denon AVR-3806 ($875)
HD Player: Toshiba HD-A1 ($375)
Surge Protector: APC C5 ($100)
Surge Protector #2: APC C5 ($100)
Universal Remote: Logitech Harmony 880 ($150)
Audio/Video Cabling: HDMI, Component, Digital Coax, Optical Audio, etc ($100)
Speaker Cabling: 12 AWG Speaker Cabling, Subwoofer Cable ($100)

Total: $1,800

Grand Total: $5,000

And don't worry about THX, this is simply a paid certification and DSP's, though fun at first, end up being options you don't use.

If you would like to cut down the above price a bit, consider building 5.1 instead of 7.1 (you can build up over time), and also consider a smaller subwoofer, and less expensive receiver from Denon or Yamaha.

For screens I would recommend Da-Lite. Is there any reason you need an electric screen?

cokewithvanilla

Auditioning
Real Name
John
1080p because it is the "wave of the future" as it were. 720p is becoming obsolete. Also, my computers video card produces a 1080p signal, which I plan to use.

Electric screen. I dont ever want to pull down a screen, and I dont want a screen blocking the door to a room that will be behind the screen. And I can't paint on a screen for the same reason. About how much would a screen such as this cost? and what format should I get? 16:9? 2.35:1? 4:3? In a 16 X 19 x 8 room, how big would I want the screen (in inches) to be?

I noticed that you have 3,200 for speakers, What do you think of the Axioms for 3,000? I have become very fond of the look that axiom offers. are paradigm that much better? Are there any good $2,000 speakers, or should I just fork over the extra grand to be happy?

How big of a difference is 1080p compared to 720p at 100 inches? Is it worth the extra 1,500-1,700 to have 1080p?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I haven't auditionned the Axiom's, as they are available via internet resale only. Personally, I would recommend auditionning as many speakers as you can from brands such as Paradigm, B&W, Monitor Audio, PSB, etc. I wouldn't purchase speakers based solely on aesthetics. Don't take my word for what speakers are best. Just remember, your ears won't lie to you.

For subwoofer, I would recommend an SVS or HSU subwoofer instead of the Axiom. For instance, the SVS PB12-Plus/2 will blow away the Axiom EP500, for the same price.

cokewithvanilla

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Is there any reason the Axiom center channel has more speakers than the Paradigm one?

Is the Panasonic PT-AX100U ($1,648) considered one of the best 720 projectors? you are probably right, I will not invest in HD dvds for some time. By that time projectors will have gone down enough for me to buy a 1080p without loosing much money... If i bought that $1,600 projector now, and a 2,000 later... that would add up to the current price of the Sony...

Hw big of a screen would you suggest in this size room?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Paradigm CC-370

Frequency Response: ±2dB from 100 Hz - 20 kHz
Tweeter: Single 1"
Woofer: Dual 6.5"
Dimensions: 7.5" x 22.75" x 10.25"
Weight: 25lbs
Price: $300

Axiom VP150

Frequency Response: ±3dB from 85 Hz - 22 kHz
Tweeter: Dual 1"
Woofer: Triple 5.25"
Dimensions: 7.5" x 27.5" x 7.5"
Weight: 22 lbs
Price: $400

The Paradigm has larger drivers, weighs more, and costs less. On the other hand, the Axiom has a larger frequency response. Keep in mind that the center channel is used primarily for vocal/dialog. But again, I haven't auditionned the Axiom center channel. I certainly wouldn't purchase a speaker based solely on aesthetics or the number of drivers, I would audition as many speakers as possible and make an informed choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookrd1