What's new

Recommendations for touchscreen remote control (1 Viewer)

lpodoll

Grip
Real Name
Lee
I am in the market for a touchscreen remote. I was wondering if anyone has reviews, opinions, or links for touchscreen remotes that they would recommend. Price range = cheaper is better. I have found a SIMA SUR - 20 on ebay for $50. The primary goal is simplicity for my family. Is anyone familiar with this remote in particular? Thanks for the input.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I'm not familiar with that particular remote, but you will want to check out www.remotecentral.com for well written reviews of many popular remotes. A favourite both here and there for touch-screen remotes because their flexibility and low cost (relative to the multi-thousand dollar alternatives) is the Philips Pronto line and their derivitives. There are, of course, many alternatives, the most interesting of which are reviewed/discussed at Remote Central, so I highly suggest you check that site out. It's an excelent resource for everything remote related.
Good luck in your search! (and be prepaired for some sticker shock on the nicer models ;) )
-- Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All I have to say is touch screens typically eat batteries like candy, so it would be best if it is a rechargable one with a cradle, or have some rechargable batteries handy.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
one thing to consider is the hard vs soft button issue.
it seems like some people cannot get used to having to look at their remote to "find" a button.
some people (like me) like having the hard-button that you can "feel" by just moving your hand around and not having to look down.
obviously, to each his own...just something to consider. :)

Duncan Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Ted. The factors that make a remote 'usable' differ greatly from one person to another.

If you haven't tried a touchscreen remote before, you should before going out and buying say a pronto. I thought touchscreens were 'cool and hi-tech' until I used one for a few months. Many people swear by touchscreens. I can only swear at them. Figure out what works best for you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Ted also, and I have to have buttons. I like to be able to operate, at the very least, the basic functions by feel without looking at the remote. Touch screen doesn't even give me that option. On my Marantz RC2000 Mk2, I got enough of the programmable flexibility of a touch screen, with the hard buttons I wanted.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
I own a previous version of the SUR. I find it to be good and bad.

The good:

* Macro on any key

* Can remove unused keys

* Great backlighting

* Any key can be used for any function (all keys learned)

* Simplicity of use (no "programming language" to learn)

* Very cool (wow-factor)

The bad:

* Use Nimh, it goes through batteries if backlighting used

* Can't define the label of the key

* It's big and heavy (vs standard univ. remote)

There are a few other quirks which I believe have been resolved in the newer model.

All-in-all, it is a good performer and very flexible but not perfect (what is?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks