What's new

Recommendations for the PS2 (1 Viewer)

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Bonjourrrrrr,
I'm planning on picking up a Playstation 2 in or around December and I'd like to hear some suggestions on what titles to purchase or rent and then buy. There are some games I'm already interested in and so I'll list them:
Silent Hill 2
I love the first one. In fact, it's my fifth favorite game of all time. This one I'll just buy outright since it's only $24.99 at my local EB.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Yes, you don't play Snake for most of the game. But I've read a glowing review of it at IGN and I usually agree with them.
Final Fantasy X
I was never a big fan of RPGs. However this title has caught my eye with its beautiful visuals as well as the good word of mouth on it. Most likely I'll just rent it first before making any decisions.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
It would be odd to buy this game again considering I already own it for the Dreamcast, but the idea of seeing more of Wesker is enticing since he is my favorite RE character.
Grand Theft Auto 3
The first one was good. I can't say much about the second GTA having not played it. But this one looks really, really good.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
This game looks like it would be a blast to play and most likely it is a blast to play.
Silent Hill 3
How about that, a game that hasn't been released yet. But being that it's Silent Hill, I doubt it'll be no damn good.
Red Faction 2
I have the first one for our PC and it's pretty good. I'm wondering what this one will be about.
(How odd, all of these titles are sequels. Oh well.)
Well, that's all I have so far. Please offer your suggestions and thank you in advance.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Grand Theft Auto 3, honestly I'm still not done with this game (almost!). I've had it since December of last year and it's great! So much to do....I can't wait for the sequel!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
One word..
Rez.
Let me say it again..
Rez.
One more time in case you didn't quite read it right..
Rez.
:D

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
1. ICO
2. FF X
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Onimusha 2 (hell, the 1st one is only $19.95, get that too)

You can't go wrong with those... I don't think.

TF

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
If you have a broadband internet connection you must get SOCOM. IMHO, this is the best PS2 game next to Grand Theft Auto 3. Silent Hill 2 is also a must own. I wouldn't get Metal Gear Solid 2 and would wait to get Metal Gear Solid Substance. You get the current game, plus you get to play the entire game as Snake. :emoji_thumbsup:
I am also a huge fan of Twisted Metal: Black. That gmae can be had for $20. Tony Hawk 4 is coming out and looks to be the shiznit. :)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City looks like it will be my next favorite PS2 game and Silent Hill 3 is looking amazing.
-Dean-

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
red faction is not as good as the other games mentioned, so i am not interested with number 2. still, ps2 has lots of good games...what about devil may cry?

Leslie W

Stunt Coordinator
SOCOM: Navy Seals
Dynasty Warriors 3
Devil May Cry
Resident Evil
Silent Hill 2
GTA3
Wipeout Fusion
All of these are great additions to any video game collection. :)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Pass on MGS 2 Sons of Liberty and pick up MGS Substance! Another one to pass on is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. 4 is coming out very soon, unless you want a good deal on 3, Circuit City has it for only $9.99! Here is a list of the rest.
  1. Madden 2003
  2. NHL 2003
  3. Nascar 2003
  4. Hitman 2
  5. Socom:US Navy Seals
  6. GTA 3 or GTA Vice
  7. Tom Clancy's Splinter CEll!!!!
  8. Medal of Honor Frontline[/list=1]This should keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy

ChrisV

Second Unit
I'm with Romier on this one.
Rez
Rez
Rez

Also try Frequency.

And of course you can't go wrong with:

Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
SSX: Tricky
Twisted Metal: Black
Tony Hawk 3 ( so cheap now! )
Virtua Fighter 4[/list]

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Oh dear. There are so many good PS2 games that you will need to take your time.

My highest recommendations, however, are:

1) ICO (best. game. evar.)
2) Final Fantasy X (great game, great story, wish it weren't over)
3) Rez (omigod)
4) SOCOM (especially if you have broadband)
5) High Heat Baseball 2003 (if you like baseball)
6) Wipeout Fusion
7) Metal Gear Solid 2 (but everyone is right - wait for Substance)
8) Grand Theft Auto 3 (duh)
9) Fatal Frame (spooky! it's so scary that I can't play it)
10) Drakan: The Ancients' Gates (GREAT adventure/hack & slash game, better than Tomb Raider, imo)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Mark,

If you like hack 'n slash D&D type stuff, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is right up your alley. This game is being released for the other consoles, but until now it's been a PS2 exclusive and it's graphically *gorgeous* and a heck of a lot of fun to play with friends in tow.

ICO is amazing, if you have the patience for Prince of Persia style puzzle/platforming.

I will back up Romier and suggest Rez very highly. If you have a capable receiver/speaker setup, sitting in a dark room with this game is inspirational! Panzer Dragoon meets Tron.

It sounds like you already have your sights on GTA3. It's worth every penny. Try your hardest not to listen to my fanboy hype and just play the game on its own merits.

~j

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff for the recommendation of Medal of Honor Frontline. I forgot to include that one on my list and that's weird considering I adore Allied Assault for the PC.

(Jeez, another sequel!)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I second the recommendation for Jak and Daxter. Fun game!

Look out for Sly Cooper coming this month, too. The demo was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks