What's new

Recommendations for small stereo system? (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Boys and Girls...

I'm just looking for a small stereo system for my bedroom. Can anyone recommend a good deal or a system that they have or have heard? I just want something that's not too expensive and sounds good. Don't need a tape player...just CD.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Onkyo 8511 receiver
Onkyo 390 CD changer
JBL S38 II (or new model equivalent) speakers.

That would be a nice little set up for not too much money if you looked around for the best deals.

If you could up the budget a little, NAd integrated amp and CD player, NHT SB3 speakers.

No sub would really be required with either of those speaker pairs in a small room for music only.

CraigL

Screenwriter
We're talking an apt sized bedroom. A receiver might take up about half the space ;) I was really looking for a one-piece system.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
My bad. In that case, what about one of the Denon/Mission speaker mini systems? They are expensive, but small. You can usually pick up refurbs at a much better price.

Eric C D

Second Unit
One box solution eh, you didn't say your budget.

On the inexpesive side, the most interesting thing I've heard of the type you're looking for is the Sharp SD-EX111 that got lots of discussion recently on Audio Circle. That and your choice of speakers.

On the more expensive side, look up Linn Classik.

When I started reading your thread (before the one box statement), I was going to suggest you look up the Onix SP3/Ref 1 deal.

enjoy,

CraigL

Screenwriter

$500 is inexpensive? Hmm...methinks something a little less. :) I was looking for around $200. Doesn't have to be high end but something that fills the room nicely.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Craig,
Just a heads up, the sharp system mentioned is at Tweeters for something like $169, not $500- that's the msrp- you never pay that!

Jon.S

Auditioning
I'm a new poster here, and apparently I'm not allowed to post links. That killed my entire message. So here's try number 2.

If you go to overstock dot com and search for "JVC CD/CD-R Executive Microsystem" you'll find a small stereo system that might suit you. For ~$153 shipped, it has a cd player and separate speakers that should sound good. I have one similar to this in my office that sounds great (and it has only a single 3-1/2 cone in each speaker). The one at overstock will also accept a sub, so with a dayton sub from partsexpress for ~$130-140 you would have a nice little system for around $300.

Another option is a cambridge soundworks model 740 cd/radio. The sound is very good, and it has an alarm clock to boot. I don't think it sounds as good as my JVC, but my wife thinks it's better for my nightstand (and it has much more prominent base).

Good luck with your search.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Well if you absolutely MUST have a one-box system and MUST stay under $200, this Sony isn't bad for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

If you have slightly more space and want a sub (a cheap crappy one you'll have to elevate and fiddle with positioning to make sound OK), you can get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=541966

Though I really think that for just an extra $100 and a tiny bit more space you could have far better sound:

Toshiba 3960 DVD/CD player, $50
Sherwood RX-4103, $90
Polk R15s, $100

All from jandr.com shipping included. The Polks won't give you much bass, but you can always add a $150 Dayton sub later on if you mind that much.

Or the slightly larger Infinity Primus 160s can be had from eBay for about $180 a pair shipped new, they'll provide slightly better bass response.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wanted a little cheap setup in my bedroom last year too. That system has now cost me $1100...but I'm very happy with it :D Seriously, if you go get used gear, you can put together a nice little setup for pretty close to your price.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, there's this nice little setup for $350:

http://images.jr.com/productimages/O...FFFFF&CVT=jpeg

Go to J&R, and add it to your cart for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks