What's new

Recommendations for $2000 complete system (1 Viewer)

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you think that the HTD level 3 mains are overkill?

I'm talking about the bookshelf speakers, not the floor standing speakers. Are they too big for the apartment? Does rear-ported matter for this application or not? I think that both the Axioms and the HTDs are rear-ported, though I'm not positive.

HTD Lvl 3 mains (fronts): $199

HTD Lvl 3 center: $139

HTD Lvl 2 mains (rears): $129

Total: $467

Add the great Sony sub for $150 and you have a nice system for a little over $600. You can spend more than that, but will it sound any better in this price range?

Also, in this price range, forget about any Sub besides the Sony. It is an incredible bargain and quite capable. Is it an SVS sub? No, of course not, but it does a very good job for what it is and nobody else can touch it in its price class. Corner load it, consider filling it and you can make it sound even better, but for an apartment application, it should be fine. (I originally had mine downstairs and once calibrated, it was pretty amazing. Can it handle The Haunting as well as an SVS or my Dharman? Of course not, but you aren't likely to care in an apartment anyway.)

Use the remaining money to get the best tv monitor you can.

Just my opinion. Axiom shipped my little M1/Mzero/VP50 speakers for my bedroom system today by Intl economy air. I'll let you know how it sounds if you're interested. Maybe they will show up here by Friday if I'm lucky.

-David

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard nothing but good things about the HTD Level 3's, but they're just too physically big for this system.

I am indeed curious to hear about your Axioms, especially dealing with the placement and mounting of those bizarro surrounds...

BTW, it is possible that the fronts will have to be wall-mounted, so I am a little bit leary of rear-ported speakers.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
The level 3 mains are 15.75" x 8.7" x 10.8" (H x W x D) according to the web site. Is that too big? The level 2 mains are 12.6" x 7.1" x 9.4".

As for the Axioms:

I can wall-mount the QS2's, but in the end I elected to go with the Mzeros for the surrounds. So, for $428 delivered, I purchased factory outlet M1's for the fronts, VP50 center and Mzeros for the surrounds.

The price difference between the Mzeros and M1s is tiny, but it looks to me like there's a big difference in what you get with the M1s. From M1's to M2's less than $30 difference per pair, and another small step up for the aclaimed M3s when talking factory outlet pricing.

I wasn't sure from the web site, because there's some conflicting information there, but I think that the QS2s might have spring clip speaker connections. The center channel page excludes the QS2 from having 5-way binding posts because of their size, but the QS2 page says that it has binding posts. If you're really interested in them, I would ask Amie which is correct. Either way, if you don't like them, you can always return them or swap them out. If you can wall mount them they might be worth a try. If you have to spring for stands, that drives the system cost up too much in this price range, IMO, but they do have some very nice looking adjustable stands for the QS2s on the Axiom web site.

-David

David X

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure how much headroom rear-ported speakers need, but look at the wall brackets on the HTD web site. They look like they are the type that hold the speakers away from the wall and both tilt and swivel. They are $32 per pair.

-David

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neil...Why not change it up and get something no one else has...
Im talking about the new sweet looking Athena Point 5 system They're compact, stylish, come in high gloss finishes, and are relatively easy to drive. I think the whole 5.1 setup retails for $900

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Neil:
The solution, if it was me buying (of course I have a similar system already ... check signature below!)
ENERGY TAKE 5.2 W/ S8.2 SUB $685 (www.soundpros.com)
DENON AVR-2802 $620 (www.soundpros.com)
TOSHIBA SD4700 DVD Audio-Video $224 (www.onecall.com)
Best part is that all the above have FREE shipping and you get the SUB as well with the Take 5.2
Also the Toshiba will play DVD Audio also !!!
Not to mention the great power of the 2802. The 1802 you originally wanted might be underpowered for this setup...
So basically you would still have $500 left to buy a TV locally.
I have bought electronics from the websites above and they are very reliable ...
Good luck!

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Aurel:

Thanks for the link to SoundPros, could prove useful.

I do disagree about the relative power of the 2802 vs. 1802. The difference is not that large, but with the 2802 you're paying for a bunch of things that won't be needed in this setup: component video switching, and extra amp channel, preamp outs on all channels, etc. Nice a product as it is, it's overkill.

BTW, were those Paradigm Monitors in your old setup? You like the Take5.2's better?

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Neil:

In receivers I always look for ways that allow me to upgrade it as well ... so that is why I would go for the 2802. And it's always better to have more power than less.

But the 1802 would be a fine choice as well ...

I went with the 5.2's mostly for the size. The Paradigms were fine and I had them for 3 years but they took up too much floor space in my apartment .. wanted to get all the speakers off the floor.

The 5.2's are seamless for movies.

Good luck!

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

A few different choices here.

Receiver: Outlaw 1050 $500. Best value for a receiver under $1000 right now.

Speakers: 4 PSB Alpha Intros, 1 Alpha Center - $570. Smaller size but sound great. As always you need to audition speakers before you buy.

Sub: Adire Rava: $400. Best value for the money out there. Dips deep into the 20Hz region, which is what you want in a sub. Subs are the wow factor - and this one will give you that.

DVD Player: Panasonic RP56 - $200. Mediamatics chip. Will handle PAL and NTSC, so you can do those region 0 Hong Kong discs. Also has one of the best progressive outputs out there.

TV: $400 Not up on direct views.

Total: $2070. Ok, missed it by $70. Not too bad. Those are the best bang/buck items I see out there right now.

Jacques

David X

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the Outlaw 1050 offers exceptional value. However, it doesn't have DPL-II, but it does have it's own proprietary version of a 6-channel EX-like system, which many people seem to like.
I suspect that DPL-II is probably a more important feature than the 6th discreet channel in a system like this. (It is for me in my bedroom/office system.)
There's also cost. The Outlaw, I believe is $499. The Onkyo DS-TX595 can be had for $350 or so as reported in different threads here by calling J and R. I don't know about pricing on the Denon 1802, which is very similar to the 595 in features, but presumably it's competitive with the 595, but I'm really not sure. I never considered the 1802, so I never priced it out anywhere.
There's a new review of the Denon 1802 on www.cheaphometheater.com .. they like it a bit better than the 595 basically because (if I'm remembering the review correctly) it has pre-outs for the front/center channels and the rear panel layout is a little nicer than the 595, but the Denon remote is much worse than the 595 which has a very capable learning remote, though it is not backlit. There's a couple of other minor differences such as the mix of optical/digital inputs (3:1 on the Denon and 2:2 on the Onkyo, I believe) and the Denon is rated at 5 watts per channel higher than the Onkyo (80 vs 75?). Depending on pricing on the Denon, assuming they are priced competitively, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, barring the crappy remote on the Denon.
I own the 595. I haven't listened to the 1802.
-David

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Neil ..

FedEx showed up with the Axiom package today. They are too new and tight to be rated yet, but they are already starting to open up a bit. Incidentally, all the boxes have stickers on them that say "Blemished Cabinet", but damn if I could find anything but a tiny scratch on one of the Mzeros (on the cabinet near the main driver) that could have passed for A stock.

These speakers are definitely small, and sound small out of the box. Hopefully they'll get better with more break in. As I said, they are already starting to open up a bit. Some of this sound can probably be attributed to the metal drivers, I'm sure, but we'll see how they sound after a 100 hours or so and a real calibration. (I just used the receiver test tones and SPL meter for the initial setup just to get them going.)

The M1s definitely have a rear port that can't be blocked. Just by blocking it with my hand you could hear a huge difference on the low end. The Mzeros don't have a rear port.

If you have any questions, send me email or a message.

-David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks