What's new

Recommendation for Horror/Scary DVD for 13yr old (1 Viewer)

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Evening all.

For Christmas, we at work have a list of items to buy as gifts and essentials for a down on their luck, family. I chose to go for the DVD purchase, thinking that with a little research and input from all you pros out there in HT land, I might be able to get the perfect movie for the young man of the family.

I have no idea what other DVDs that he may have, so I suppose the sky is the limit. Although, I must say that this age range makes for a tough buy for this genre of movies and excludes quite a few R rated titles that I would have otherwise chosen. So, I'm limited right off the bat.

Any ideas?

Thanks all .....

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Gremlins of course.

Depnding on the kid's maturity level, maybe The Ring.

I'd also recommend The Sixth Sense, The Others and Signs.

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
How did you come up with a horror movie choice? That's a pretty broad genre, especially if your gift-buying for a 13 year old. There are a bunch of horror movies from when I was a young lad which would probably be age-appropriate now. To echo Dan, Gremlins comes immediately to mind, as does Lost Boys and Poltergiest. These may seems kind of cheesy to a kid exposed to the horror movies of late. The scariest, piss-in-your pants movie I've seen lately is The Ring (you've have to watch the end in slow-mo--its at least 10x scarier!:D). 28 Days Later is pretty good. Now the most scariest, but thats probably because it actually has a good plot.

Anything else about your young friend you could provide to help us out?

acg

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Evil Dead 1 and 2
Re-animator
Armies of Darkness
The Shinning
All arn't that scary, more funny actually, but of course it depends on the 13 Year old kid I guess.

EDIT: Forgot DAY OF THE DEAD, perfect for a Christmas present.. eheheheheh.

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
Salo (kidding!)

depends on his maturity level on what he can take(i've watched r rated films since i was 5 for example).
An American Werewolf in London-r(nudity warning but heh he's already going to see violence)
Army of Darkness-pg13-pretty safe and 3 stooges refrences
Evil Dead 2: Special Ed. -r-great movie and nothing to worry about cept excess blood.
Nightmare on elm street -r-but just gore and sexual situations but no nudity
sleepy hollow-r-again just gore
personally i'd just throw an r-rated movie in there anyways(the kids 13 he'll probably thank you for nudity)

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
28 Days Later is one of the best I've seen lately. But just might be a taaad intense, depends on the kid.

The Ring is probably too intense. Another one of my faves.

The Others is quite good, on the level with Sixth Sense and Signs.

Gremlins isn't really scary but family friendly.

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
Many responses are right about the maturity level. Here are my recommendations:
The Ring, The Others, Sixth Sense, Signs, Stir of Echos.

Rated R movies IMHO he could watch:
Potergeist, Sleppy Hollow, 28 Days Later, Lost Boys

I would have reservations about letting him watch:
The Exorcist, An American Werewolf in London, Nightmare on Elm Street.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas might make the little tyke's current situation feel a little better.:wink:

Alan_S

Auditioning
Unless you guys were just kidding, there would be no way I would let a 13 year old see and own Evil Dead 1 or Re-Animator. (Both are rated NC-17 anyway.) You might as well list The Toxic Avenger or Class of 'Nuke Em High for that matter! :D

How about some classic Horror? Sure, it may not be too "scary", but they are classics:

-Universal Monster movies (Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy)
-Psycho (R, but pretty tame by today's standards)
-The Birds

and of course if you really want to freak out the kid, get Manos, The Hands of Fate. MST3K or uncut... :)

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Start 'em off right:

Dracula -- Bela Lugosi
The Mummy -- Boris Karloff

While these films are not awash in computer-generated effects, blood, and hormonally-challenged teens, they make up for it in electrifying atmosphere. These movies fascinated me as a kid. The Mummy positively scared me to pieces.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator

Yup! But the thing is, they're funny movies at heart, and if the kid "gets" dark comedy then I highly suggest getting him it. Same with Re-animator.
Not to mention when I was in Grade 6 everyone had already seen at least Evil Dead anyways. It's really about the parents I guess, and their rules.

PS: They are fine discs as well, which doesn't hurt.
Edit: I also forgot one of the FREAKIEST films ever, Blue Velvet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks