Second Unit
please recommend a sub-$100 remote control

I need to control the following:
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR500
CD - Music Hall CD25
SACD/DVDA - Pioneer DV563A
DVD - Sony DVP-NS315B
VCR - Panasonic PV-8450
Tape - Onkyo TA-RW244 (controlled by reciever IR via wire)
TV - Toshiba 24AF42
CDR - Harmon Kardon CDR26-Z
Cable box - General Instruments CFT-2254 (Time-Warner)

features I'd like:
universal a/v
learning
decent range and power
macro
hard buttons

pc-connectivity good but not required

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Without PC programmability and 10 device limit (which you're close to) - Home Theater Master MX-500

With PC programmability and 10 device limit - Home Theater Master MX-500 and IRClone (see www.irclone.com)

With PC programmability and 20 device limit - Home Theater Master MX-700

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
What about the new KAMELEON

I have the first generation one from Rat Shack, and love it.

I'm considering asking Santa for the new one and bringing the "old" one upstairs to control my bedroon A/V stuff.

Alfer

MikeSRC

Second Unit
What about the new KAMELEON
I like the One for All Kameleon. My only problem is that you can't change what's displayed on any screen. The "Home Theater" key gives you the ability to combine some functions and the remote is JP1-able, but you won't be able to completely duplicate all the functions on your original remotes. It does score high in the "cool appearance" category though. :D

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
True, but considering it can be a fraction of the price of some other remotes people around here recommend(I think they go for $69 online), it has plenty of buttons for me. Even mine replicates several of my Directivo buttons.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Id go with the Mx-500. I just purchased it along with the Kameleon and tried them together. After 24 hours I couldn't stand the Kameleon any longer. It kept coming on when my sub fired, makes a humming hoise (albeit a very distinct one) and is not nearly as customizable as the 500 was. Plus the hard buttons are much easier to memorize so you don't have to look down at the remote. The Kameleon changes screens with each device so the buttons shift for certain functions. I just found it to be annoying. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks