What's new

Receiver under $1200 running 7 -4ohm spkrs? (1 Viewer)

Jim*P

Auditioning
I am upgrading my home theater and have purcahsed new fronts from a friend. Polk Audio LSi9's. I am also considering buying the same brand surrounds. After buying the fronts I realized that they are 4ohm speakers. After help in another thread I was told my current Denon 2802 would run the fronts but I did not mention the fact I am now considering adding 4 more speakers that would also all operate at 4 ohms. Finally, the house we are buying has a drop down motorized movie screen but it is operated by a 12v trigger so I have to upgrade my receiver. After all of these other expenditures I would like to stay below $1200 if at all possible. I have been considering the Yamaha HTR-5990. The only MUSTS are a 12v trigger, be a 7.1 and be able to handle driving 7 4ohm speakers. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Why not look for a receiver and an outboard amp either for the front 2 or front 3 channels?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Since the Denon has pre outs you're likely better off purchasing an external power amp to provide those speakers with the power they deserve. There's at least one multichannel power amp in the for sale area that would suit you well ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Andrew. You aren't going to find any receivers that will be better than the 2802 with an external amp (providing it has pre outs) for $1200 and $1200 should get you a very decent amp.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not ALL Onkyo receivers...maybe the top 2 models, but I still wouldn't be comfortable with a 80x running LSis. An external amp is the best way. Even a 3 ch amp to run the front 3 and run the surrounds off the receiver would be good enough.

If you want to go the reciver route, Outlaw should take care of it, but also the offerings from NAD, Rotel and Arcam should be 4 Ohm stable too. I run all 4 Ohm speakers similar to the 9s in my setup and I run just 2 monoblocks for the main pair, with just the center and surrounds running off my Marantz 8300 and it works fine.

Jim*P

Auditioning
Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions. It looks like I am going to need a new receiver since my 2802 does not have a 12v trigger and my new house has a drop down screen that is only activated by the 12v trigger.

I had never heard of the Outlaw brand before. Which is not suprising since I am new to all of this. Are they good receivers? What would they compare to? Are they as good as the higher end Yamaha's, Denon's, etc.? The prices seem very reasonable.

Jim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Outlaw is an internet direct brand and they are well respected. I don't have any problem recommending them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks