What's new

Receiver turns off when there's a loud scene (1 Viewer)

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
I don't post here ever (mostly a software/TV/Movie guy), but I'm having a weird reoccurring problem, that maybe someone can help me with. I have a Yamaha RXV-690 in my secondary (living room) home theater. When I play it fairly loud (maybe on 4) and there's a loud moment in a scene, the receiver turns off. If I kept it low for that same scene it would be fine. Anyone have a clue? It seems analogous to a circuit breaker, but I don't have any idea if that makes sense or what I can do about it.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
The amp is clipping. The loud scene is taking up all the power. The amp shuts off, so you don't have a fire. To fix this, you could get a new, more powerfull reciever. Or you could add a power amp for the front speakers, (mabey all three) or get more efficient speakers.

What kind of speakers are you using??

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 for the front 3, 2 bookshelf Celestion for the surround. I really don't want to upgrade because as I said, this is a secondary HT room, for me.

Nice name! It could also be that you have a short somewhere. I had a similar situation one time. I could listen at low or medium volume, but as soon as I turned it up too loud, my receiver would shut down. It turned that a single strand of speaker cable had popped out of the binding post and was touching the back of the amp. Check out your speaker connections at both the amp and the speakers to make sure that there's no bare wire touching any metal surface other than the connectors, or, even worse, bare wire touching bare wire (although your amp would probably shut down immediately if that was the case).

Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those are the only speakers hooked to it? It very much sounds like it is being overdriven, but it doesn't sound like that would do it. A short is a possiblity also, but I would agree that it would do it immediately or fry completely.

I noticed it is a Pro Logic receiver, perhaps the rear channels are drawing too much current. Does it do the same thing when only in stereo mode? What about disconnecting one pair of speakers at a time to see what happens.

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Gentlemen, Thank you very much! I disconnected and reconnected (more securely) the speaker wire that was leading to the receiver and all is well now. I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum, while I return to the safety and comfort of the Software area :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks