Denon 3803
Yamaha RX-V2400
H/K 630
H/K 7200

To run the following speakers:

Swans 6.1
Swans C3
Swans R3

Can anyone give me any suggestions on which receiver to go with?

I really like the H/K 630, but it has no video up conversion.

I like the Denon 3803, but it has no Dolby Prologic IIx and I thought it would be nice to be able to use IIx when I add my rear channels later on. Iffy on that though...

I have no knowledge of the Yamaha receiver, but I have read that it does not perform even close to rated output levels. I also read that the YPAO feature doesn't setup up your system accurately. And I am really not too fond of the remote.

I like the H/K 7200, but it has no Prologic IIx, and no video upconversion. Can anyone tell me what the 7200 really gives you over the 630?

Thanks in advanvce for all your help.

Tony Wright

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Denon 3805 is comming out very soon, it would almost be worth it for you to wait for it.

TonyWright

Second Unit
The problem with the Denon 3805 is that is it brand new and will sell at MSRP ($1199) which is approximately $200 over my budget.

What is added to the 3805 that the 3803 doesn't have?

TonyWright

Second Unit
I looked at the Marantz 7400, but I have heard rumors of it overheating. I didn't think it differed enough from teh Denon to take a chance on it possibly overheating.

This is only what I heard though.

Be wary of audio drop outs in the HK's, and buzzing/hissing noises according to some, though they have great amps. The Denon will be a "warmer" soundng receiver, great for music if you like that, but maybe not as good for home theater. The Yamaha has the most features, and is known to be very reliable, though some people think they sound "bright" with music I find them detailed and neutral, and they are awesome with home theater audio handling. As you might be able to tell, I am leaning towards the Yamaha 2400, and also considering the Pioneer 53 or 55TXi units.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
How about the NAD 753.....I looked at the 763 which is $400 more than the 753...

TonyWright

Second Unit
NAD is intriguing. However, I think I am leaning toward the Yamaha RX-V2400. It truly has the most features and audioholics sure enjoyed testing it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate it. Who knew making a decision on a HT receiver would be this difficult.

Thanks again!!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I was in the same boat recently: Yamaha RX-V2400 vs. Harman Kardon AVR630 vs. Denon 3803. I chose the Yamaha over all of them because as soon as I auditioned it I was so impressed: sound quality is detailed and crisp, surround field is engulfing, plenty of output power. I auditioned the AVR430 and I really didn't like the way it sounded, very muddy and almost muffled (some like to call it "warm"). The Yamaha is definitely the winner for home theater, I'm 95% HT and 5% music, so I didn't much care how it sounded with music.

I am now using the Yamaha to power an entire 6.1 set of JBL Studio Series speakers. My fronts are floorstanding beasts equipped with 10" woofers and let me tell you from personal experience that the Yamaha has more than enough power for them, so I really don't trust that review that said it was lacking in the power department.

The receiver has a gazillion features I have yet to untap. Out-of-the-box, SPL calibrated, it sounds AMAZING! I haven't even used the YPAO yet :D

TonyWright

Second Unit
The more I read, the more I lean toward the Yamaha RX-V2400. It will probably my final choice.

Thanks for all the help!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Tony, just give the Yamaha a listen. I heard it on Paradigm Reference series speakers and I was blown away. I brought it home, connected it to my JBL Studio Series speakers, SPL calibrated it and I was even more blown away :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks