What's new

Receiver or processor? Long (1 Viewer)

Kyle W. Findley

Auditioning
I am currently looking to upgrade or downgrade, either way you might see it, into a unit that will do DTS-ES and Dolby Prologic II, and would love to have THX EX an option as well. But, for the price range I am looking at I don't think THX EX is an option, unless it a receiver or processor that has an upgrade path via software. Are there any processors currently out or coming out that offer these features for around $1k. If not, what receivers would you recommend? I have been considering buying one of the following: Onkyo TXDS797, Denon 2802, 3802, or 4802? Anyone recommend a company on the internet who can give me a good deal on the 2802, 3802, or 4802?
[Edited last by Kyle W. Findley on September 26, 2001 at 02:54 PM]

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Kyle: If THX EX is on your must have list, then the only thing in your price range is the Onkyo 797 (THX Select rated.) The Denon 4802 (THX Ultra rated) has it but is not going to in the $1k price range.
The lower priced Denons can do 6.1 decoding but they aren't THX rated like the Onkyo and 4802.
I'm running a 3802 as a pre-amp and I'm very pleased. But if you are wanting the exact shopping list you've listed, the Onkyo is the runaway best choice (cause it's got it all for easily the best price.)
For pricing, you need someone other than me. I'm not up on the best places to buy over the web for receivers.
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
THX EX should be way down on your list IMHO. It adds a bunch of useless features to 6.1 processing that can, in some instances, make the sound worse (muffled, echoy, overly manipulated, etc.)-- and you can't disable them.
For the money I'd go get a Denon 3802 with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, PL II, 6.1 matrix, and 7.1 surround, plus built-in amps for all speakers. It still has THX Cinema re-EQ that you can turn on or off. On-line at a reputable dealer can save you some moola.
My neighbor just got one from Sound Distributors and she loves it. It's not a bad piece of equipment either.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro due out now in Dec. will hit your budget but does not have THX. It will have everything else in the book and is 7.1.
Russ

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"THX EX should be way down on your list IMHO. It adds a bunch of useless features to 6.1 processing that can, in some instances, make the sound worse (muffled, echoy, overly manipulated, etc.)-- and you can't disable them."
Geez Dan...seems a bit harsh of an assesment to me. While I don't use THX-EX often, I do think it is a nice feature to have. When more EX titles become available and optimode has a standard calibration system
confused.gif
, THX-EX will be as solid, IMO, as DD. I may get bashed for going to that extent, but I believe THX is more than marketing. Must be the Skywalker ranch or something....I digress.
Kyle,
Your post mentions processor as well. Are you looking at options that include a pre/pro and amps or just the receivers? In that group, you'll not find upgrade paths. I believe the only company to reward customers with an upgrade so far is Onkyo with their 989. My fingers are still crossed for news on the Denon 5800. The 4802 does have an RS-232 port, so you may find some hope there, but this one also includes THX-Ultra certification and will perform DD-EX. There are several early, good reviews that have popped up recently on this unit. In my opinion, it's the best choice of your loot...also most expensive and a bit more than your posted budget. You did metion this one so I thought I'd give it my vote.
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks