What's new

receiver hookup to tv (1 Viewer)

jeffCR

Auditioning
I have my Sony home theater receiver hooked up to my tv. I just bought a new tv so here goes. My old tv was a JVC model . I have the audio out jacks on the tv going into my receiver. on this tv you could shut the internal tv speakers off and if you kept the receiver at a constant volume you could increase and decrease the sound via the tv volume. what we did is we kept the tv volume at max and used the receiver volume. Now the question, my new tv has audio out jacks which I ran to the receiver , however you can't turn the tv speakers off so we are forced to keep the tv volume all the way down. The problem now is, during normal listening levels the receiver volume needs to be a lot louder than it ever was. When watching the music channel at loud levels I can turn the volume up on the receiver to max and it is still not as loud as it was before. My question is will this hurt the amp if it is maxed out like this. I am assuming that the signal coming in is not as strong on the new tv as it was on the old.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The way you had it before using Variable on your L/R outs, is actually not considered the proper way to do it.

Most Displays will off a setting in the menu for Variable or Fixed for this audio output. Fixed is straight home audio line level and is considered correct. Youa ctually could of damaged your pre-Amp doing it as you were before.

My suggestion is to never use the output from the display. Using a stereo hi-fi VCR for the Tuner duties. These outputs are always just fixed line level.

Harsh, that there is no option to shut off the display speakers, I have not seen a display like that in a very long time. But even so, use the L/R output as a last resort.

jeffCR

Auditioning
I have a Hi fi vcr hooked into the system. So you are saying I could take the cables that go into my TV audio out jacks and put them on my vcr audio out jacks. The way I have it now is I come in to my sattelite reciver with the sattelite cable and also my regular cable coax line. From there i go into my vcr with the coax cable and out to my tv. I then run the audio out on the tv into the receiver. So instead I should run sound from the vcr audio out into the receiver instead of the tv audio out jacks. If I do this does this mean the vcr has to stay on in order for the sound to work? I know I have my dvd player audio outs run directly into the receiver. I think the last time I looked the sattelite receiver didn't have any audio out jacks. Thanks for the help

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes that is a better way, and will typically perform way better. NO audio outs on yur sat?? EEEKKK!! :)

Those even cheapie stereo hi-fi VCR's generally have very good audio outs. It will be fixed though, as it should be.

I have made this simple change for scores of people, the difference is always significant, usually shocking to the owner even.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks