What's new

Receiver for Kenwood HTB505 (1 Viewer)

David Dhaus

Agent
I'm wiring my basement for surround sound and browsing HTIB. (I know, I know, but my budget won't let me shop components! :) ) and this forum seems to favor the Onkyo 650 slightly over the Kenwood HTB505. Does anyone have the full specs on the receiver that comes with? I'm getting conflicting info on which receiver it has. Crutchfield told me the receiver IS the HTB505, but Kenwood doesn't show that as an existing receiver number. In particular I'm curious as to how many S-video inputs it has and what type of hook ups (spring? banaba clips?). Also, I'm running Monster 16 ga. in-wall wire for all speakers. Will that do for the sub, or is special sub speaker wire required? Thanks for all the help so far! dhaus

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The 504 sub had a low level connection. I do not know about the 505 sub. Probably the same. If the same, then you would need to run sub cable to. Low level is preferred for HT so I would definitely run one.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Speaker wire is not used for line-level sub cable. RG6 works fine.

When it comes time to place your sub, one cable idea is go to a specialty AV store/shop and have them cut and F-terminal a length that you will want. Buy two F-to-RCA adapters for

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
David,
Sometimes companies make certain receivers specifically for their HTiBs, and this is the case for this Kenwood. I think the model of this receiver is the VR-606 (not to be confused with the VR6060). But you probably won't be able to find this on Kenwoods website, since they don't offer it as a receiver by itself. I also think this receiver comes with 2 S-video inputs, and 1 output. And if they do have any banana clips, it would probably only be for the front speakers. That's what these kind of receivers usually do. Of course, you should go to a Circuit City or Sears, and see and listen for yourself, instead of listening to all of my "probablies." :)

You can see a diagram of the receiver back on Kenwood's website:
Link Removed
The 505 diagram is on the second of two pages.
Hope this helps,
Chris (someone who just finished researching this in too much depth, too ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks