What's new

Receiver Equalizers? Please explain (1 Viewer)

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
What is a equalizer used for in Receivers? What is the benefit? What is the downfall?

I have a Sony Receiver STR-DE925 it has an equalizer that is strange to me. Anyhow for each speaker There is a frequency adjustment and a decible adjustment. The frequency in this equalizer for each Treble, mid, bass are different.

Treble
10kHz to 1.0kHz
Decible
0dB +- 10

Mid
5.0kHz to 500Hz
Decible
0dB +- 10

Bass
1.0kHz to 100Hz
Decible
0dB +- 10

I have speakers with a frequency range of 20kHz to 100Hz so it says.

So what or how would I set a equalizer for this if at all. I do know that if you turn the equalizer off you get original intended sound. I just want to mess with the Equalizer but don't really know much about it.

Thank you

John S

Senior HTF Member
Eq's such as this is made to try to help compensate for room characteristics and personal taste.

Start and listen to it with everything at 0db first.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Equalizers are tone controls.

The difference is that equalizers offer better control of making tonal changes. In your Sony 's case, you have three adjustments available for each speaker. You can choose the frequency that each control is centered around and adjust it up or down by 10db. (When I mention centered around, this means that changes you make (+ or -) affect that frequency the most, with smaller changes to frequencies above and below the center frequency. If you think of the shape of a bell curve, you get the right idea.)

The Sony equalizer is kind of a cross between a graphic eq and a parametric eq. (Graphic eq's control the level at specific frequencies. Parametric eq's control the level, frequency, and the bandwidth of the control frequency.) With your Sony, you can control level and frequency choice (bandwidth is fixed.)

Should you use the EQ? Tough question. Some strongly believe in them. Some don't...

IMO, EQ's should be used sparingly. Only to correct gross frequency response problems in playback. If you want to experiment some, it won't hurt anything. But just because the controls are there doesn't mean you have to use them. If you're pretty happy with your system as is, I wouldn't recommed changing things much...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks