What's new

Receiver/Amplifier/Speaker Question??? (1 Viewer)

Lazy J

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I currently have an older Harmon Kardon AVR-80 receiver (5.1 - 85 watts per channel) and Miller & Kriesel speakers and subwoofer (S-150THX, SS-150THX, MX-350THX). As the model numbers suggest, both the receiver and speakers are THX certified. My room is large at 13.5 x 30.

I have been pretty happy with the sound quality over the years, other than I would like more sound/effects from the rear surround speakers (not sure if the deficiency is my system or the DVD technology?). However. my receiver is going kaputs (i.e., no display lights and shutting itself off).

After doing some mid-range reciever research, I am starting to wonder if I will be happy with just a receiver, considering my room size and that the M&K speakers are 4-ohms, or do I need to bite the bullet with a lesser wattage receiver powered by a separate amplifier. My initial research suggests my pocket book would take a significant hit going this separates way!? Any input on this subject would be appreciated!

Speaking of Harmon Kardon, they seem to be MIA as far as the mid-range receivers. All my research has revealed is low end and high end units. Am I missing some units?

Thus far, the stand-alone receivers I have been considering are as follows: Onkyo TX-SR-806 (concerned by the reports of how hot this unit runs?), Sony STR-DA5300ES, and the Denon AVR-3808CI.

Thanks in advance guys and/or gals! Merry X-mas!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't be too concerned with the heat issues with the 806, but with 4ohm speakers, I suggest 876 or better. Sony is Sony and, unless you get their high end stuff, don't expect much. Denon seems to be the one to use with 4ohm speakers (from my research when I was considering 4ohm speakers this summer).

I haven't looked at HK for a few years since I had a 325 a few years ago. For some reason I didn't really consider them again. I really liked my old one, but like you, I couldn't find anything in the mid range.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Onkyo 806 does have a 4 ohm setting, so you should be OK. I don't think it really has heat problems, so long as it is suitably vented. The high value of Onkyo receivers attracts a lot of people who don't position them properly, I suspect. Then they blame Onkyo for the problems. All modern receivers need good air flow.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
No heat issues with my 806 driving very dynamic full range floor standers. I do have the receiver well ventilated though.

Brent_S

Second Unit
It's probably worth noting that THX certification, at least on Ultra class components, includes 4 ohm stability testing..actually 3.2 ohm. Since the 806 is Ultra2 rated, there should be no concerns. However, based on the Secrets bench testing, I would not engage the 4ohm setting, the current limiting circuit appears to be rather severe. Since you're running a separate sub, the power demands on the receiver's amps will be relatively mild, even for a 4 ohm speaker.

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks