What's new

Receiver Amperage (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
I saw an amperage reading at a local stereo shop with some really high end shit, Mcintosh etc. running some hometheater speakers. With everything running and pretty damn loud, it was barely using 4-5 amps.
I can second that. I saw a HT setup at Tweeter with B&K amps (200x5 + 200x2) and HDTV display and two REL subs. I looked up the total max amperage of the system and it added upto something over 40-50 amp draw and yet the Monster conditioner never read anything above 11-12 amps at reference levels. Most of the time it was reading below 8 amps. So 35 amps into 2, 5, 7 or how many ever channels you can think of is quite absurd. If that amount of current was delivered for more than a few seconds I would think the house wiring would be on fire.

Ryan S.S.

Auditioning
If you can find out how many watts each channel fully driven supplies, like going to Sound and Vision and reading their reviews, total amperage is fairly easy to back out. Figure the amp is about 70% effiecient that means for every Watt put into the system you get .7 watts out. A watt is just an amp times a volt of real power so P=IV you know the voltage in the U.S is approx 115V so take your wattage and divide by .7 then divide that by 115 and you will have your amperage so:

I=(#of channels*Watts per channel(measured))/80.5

that equation will give you your maximum pull with all channels fully driven

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks