What's new

Receiver Advice - Clueless about HT (1 Viewer)

Bruce Wayne

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
In the past few months I have been putting together a home theater for my new apartment with what limited knowledge and budget I have available. Basically I have everything I need but I have a feeling the receiver, which I got free from my roommates father, may be a bit lacking. Here is my current set up

TV
Hitachi 50VF820

Receiver
Pioneer VSX-D458-HT

Speakers
Fronts - Klipsch SF-2
Center - Klipsch SC-1
Rears - Klipsch SB-2
Sub - Sony (don't know model and will likely replace with Klipsch KSW 10/12)

I don't really want to spend more than $600 on a receiver and for the most part it will be used for HT, I don't listen to much music at home. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction of what I may want to look at given my price range and needs.

Thanks

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'll give you the same advice that I'd give to someone who is clueless about computers as to what they should buy for their first system. I think that you should use the hand me down for a couple of months before making an upgrade. I could tell you what I'd buy and why but you'll have more fun with it if you play with what you've got to see what you like about it and what you don't. If it's properly set up the VSX-D458-HT will provide a highly enjoyable home theater experience.
Besides, based on what you have posted I suspect that your weak link is the sub, not the receiver. It's entirely possible that once you get everything set up and fine tuned you'll agree.

Nobody's first car should be a Corvette. The Ford Tempo will get you where you need to go for now and you'll appreciate the sports car all that much more down the road :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.