HT Checklist

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jonnyMa, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jonnyMa

jonnyMa Agent

Okay im embarking on my first ht project(and im pretty clueless[​IMG] ). Anyway before I start setting the budget and choosing components I thought Id make a checklist. Not knowing much about HT Im afraid I might leave something out:b so let us know if theres anything missing or if theres anything I could add to improve it:

Projector
    Screen
    Ceiling mount for projector
    Cables
    Receiver
    Speakers(mains and surrounds)
    Subwoofer
    Receiver

Obvious things like ps2,digibox,DVD player

Ill get more specific advice about each component when I set the budget but for the time being does this list look alright? Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jonny. Welcome to HTF!

Your list is a good start and it's fun to jump straight into the equipment list.

But you need to consider a few things.

For example: a front projector is great - but you need total control over lighting if you plan on watching it during the day.

Many people use a inexpensive front projector for DVD and more serious HD watching with a HD source. But they keep a more traditional television around for more casual TV watching. If you never watch daytime television - these issues dont apply to you.

Remote Control: All this different equipment can be complex to operate. You might want to consider at least a Harmony 688 remote for about $120 or the more expensive-but-color model for around $200.

Cables: You need to decide if you are running in-wall or not.

If you go in-wall, get CL2/CL3 in-wall rated speaker wires. I suggest 12 ga all around. You can get the Carol brand of wire from www.partsexpress.com for a good price. (100-740) is 100 ft for about $30.

Video Cables: Custom cables are the way to go. www.bluejeanscables.com is just a bit more expensive than the Radio Shack/AR Pro2 cables - but they rival the higher-end retail cables. They build your cables with the same stuff DVD production studios and network-broadcast studios use. It's stiff, it's ugly - but it has the technical specs to do the job for a cheep price.

HD Video switching: Some recievers will switch component video - but this may not handle HD video switching. Many people find a external component-video switcher for about $225 is a nice option to have.

Speakers: I recommend getting small, monitor-style speakers, but a more powerfull subwoofer. (Home Theater is about IMPACT and a good sub makes all the difference.) We tend to love the SVS subwoofers (internet only company: SVS Sound), but check out the "Speakers and Subwoofer" fourm for other well-respected units.

Be sure to check out our own HTF Primer/FAQ before you start buying. It has a LOT of good information for newbies and will give you lots of tips.

Hope this helps.

3. jonnyMa

jonnyMa Agent

Thanks for the help bob. I never thought of the remote control issue. With regards to the projector this is a dedicated room im building(albeit with a samll budget and an even smaller knowledge[​IMG] ). I will have a seperate tv for casual viewing. Thanks for the cable advice as this is an area im a little stumped on.

Also I have to commend you as this site is an absolutely fantastic resource. I came looking for advice on buying a widescreen tv and ended up deciding to build by own home theatre[​IMG] Truth is I just wouldnt be able to do it without places like this Forum. Thanks.