What's new

Reboot during file transfer Using XP Pro(long) (1 Viewer)

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
I am hoping someone can advise me on either what might be going on with my system or at least a fix that will work. I bought this system from someone here on HTF and it seems to work very well except for this reboot issue. First, my configuration:
Athlon 700
Epox K7XA MoBo
256MB SDRam PC133
40GB WD HDD partitioned into 2 20GB drives (NTFS)
40X Toshiba CDROM
Netgear USB wireless ethernet adapter
IBM Data Fax modem
Norton Systemworks 2002
MS XP PRO

I first ran into this issue when I was transferring about 900 mp3 files from the d drive to the c drive. Within 1 minute, the OS would reboot. Windows then gave me the following error message:

Error Signature
BCCode: 40000080 BCP1: 00000000 BCP2:00000000 BCP3:00000000 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP:0_0 Product: 256_1

The following files included in error report
C:WINDOWSMinidumpMini071502-06.dmp
C:Docume~1WhiteyLOCALS~1TempWER.tmp.dir00sys data.xml

It then wanted me to send this to Microsoft for analysis. I didn't do this.

I've then tried the following without success:
1.Plugging directly into wall as opposed to an surge-protected outlet strip
2. Checking and reseating cables and cards on drives and MoBo
3. Drive D was originally FAT32 so I reformatted the D drive to NTFS
4. Repaired the OS by booting XP from the CD and letting Setup reinstall w/o removing any other applications or files
5. Ran Western Digital's diagnostic program on the drive and it passed. Does that mean anything?

Note: after XP came back up and I again tried the file transfer, the error message appeared as a blue screen with instructions to reboot into Safe Mode and try again. I did this and first noted which devices were enabled under the Device Manager. I then tried the file transfer and IT WORKED.

I then rebooted normally and again the transfer FAILED. The only difference I noted in the Device Manager was the absence of the Monitor and Game Port in Safe Mode.

I'm stumped! Any ideas why this is happening and why it only works in Safe Mode? I haven't seen it reboot during any other activities except the file transfer. I'm ready to reload XP at this point but I'm not sure it will fix things.

Thanks for any ideas as to what to try next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks