What's new

Reasonable sheilded AV cable? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to put a "shopping list" together for my new HT.

I had a link in my favorites to a site that gave instructions on how to make your own sheilded audio/video cables without investing in expensive dies and crimpers.

It used to be on THIS GUY'S PAGE, but it looks like he took it down. The only reference remaining is in his archives with this picture:

I remember the cable and connectors are from MCM, but he doesn't have the part numbers up anymore. It's impossible to find anything at MCM's website unless you have the part numbers in hand.

Does anyone recognize these parts? Or something similar?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I remember that page – too bad he shut it down. It looked like great cabling that was easy to build – no special tools or soldering required. I’m experienced at building custom cables the old-fashioned way (soldering), and the quality looked excellent to me.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been scouring MCM's website and can't seem to find either the cable I remember or the plugs.

I did, however, manage to track down an email address for the elusive John Krutke. So, perhaps he'll still have this info on hand someplace.

Otherwise, Wayne, how difficult is it to work with soldered connectors? Is the only tool I need a soldering iron? I'll admit, I'm not the neatest solderer in the world. :b They didn't call me "gloppy" in electronics class for nothing. :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, soldering connectors is definitely not a job for the “gloppy.” :)

Basically, you have to be able to do intricate work with your hands and be detail-oriented.

Actually, I don’t recommend a soldering gun – they’re too big and cumbersome. Soldering irons are better, because you can select the right tip for the job. I use a 40 watt Weller with a pointed tip to get me into tight places – which you need for soldering RCAs, which are pretty small as connectors go. Iif you do want to tackle it, I can recommend a connector with a big barrel that’s easier to solder than most RCAs.

Regards,
Wayne

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
John emailed me back!

Here is the CABLE.

And here is the CONNECTOR.

Wayne, I still would like to take a look at that big-barreled connector... throw a part no. on here when you get a chance. Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Dayton Super RCA – Parts Express sells them. Do a search on "super RCA" and you’ll find them.

Black: 091-052
Red: 091-056
Yellow: 091-061

These are the ones you would probably want. However, they also have some that accept large diameter wire.

I used a lot of them in my system. I especially like the set-screw cable clamp it has.

Regards,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks