What's new

re-runs? (1 Viewer)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question for the knowledgeable folks on this forum.
Now when January 1st, 2007 rolls around and we're all watching television on our HDTV 16:9 sets. (yes, I'm sure it will happen, afterall the FCC has put out timetables and everything to help everyone out.
tongue.gif
)
anyway, assuming everything goes as planned or whenever 16:9 is the reality of broadcast- how will we see our favorite 4:3 shows in re-runs? Will someone take the time to do a sort-of 16:9 pan-n-scan on the old 4:3 stuff? will they just windowbox it? The only reason I ask is that with burn-in being a factor I'd hate to see 85% of the public cough up for a widescreen set, and then most of them be ruined because joe public doesn't lower his or her contrast appropriately.
anyone thought about this? or should I think of something else to worry about?
just something to occupy my time...
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I heard somewhere that they are currently filming several sit-coms in HDTV, just so that they will have the hi-def masters available for re-runs.
Jared

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I would think they handle 4x3 reruns in the future just as they handle 4x3 first-run material today: by windowboxing it on the sides.
- Steve

Mike I

Supporting Actor
It depends how old the reruns are ..Just about all primetime shows the last couple of years are shoot in 16.9 and framed for 4.3....
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
What about threes company,different strokes etc...or as my wife would ask
christopher lowell,room by room,emeril etc.
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All depends on how many people bitch about windowboxing. I'm sure someone will have the bright idea to crop it to 1.78:1 eventually
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks