What's new

RE: Cable TV - what are terminators? (1 Viewer)

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
I can't remember where I heard it, but something sticks in my mind about using "terminators" on cable tv lines that don't end up at a device (a tv or recorder,etc).

I have split the main cable line that comes into the house and have run a couple lines to rooms that I might want to put a TV some day, but for now these lines aren't connected to anything. Should I be using "terminators" on them?

I don't have a clue about what I'm talking about on this subject or whether it is even correct. Can someone educate me on this?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
They look like, and are almost the same size as the covers for the air valves on car tires. They are females, though. You'd normally unscrew the cable that you are not using at the splitter and screw the terminator on.

Glenn

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
They look like this :
930-0169.jpg

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
They are needed basically because a cable with no TV connected is will produce significantly more signal loss than having a TV connected there. They basically simulate a TV. You should never play your stereo without speakers attached as you should never have unterminated cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks