RE: Cable TV - what are terminators?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMM, Dec 31, 2001.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember where I heard it, but something sticks in my mind about using "terminators" on cable tv lines that don't end up at a device (a tv or recorder,etc).

I have split the main cable line that comes into the house and have run a couple lines to rooms that I might want to put a TV some day, but for now these lines aren't connected to anything. Should I be using "terminators" on them?

I don't have a clue about what I'm talking about on this subject or whether it is even correct. Can someone educate me on this?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

They look like, and are almost the same size as the covers for the air valves on car tires. They are females, though. You'd normally unscrew the cable that you are not using at the splitter and screw the terminator on.

Glenn

3. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

They look like this :
    [​IMG]

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

They are needed basically because a cable with no TV connected is will produce significantly more signal loss than having a TV connected there. They basically simulate a TV. You should never play your stereo without speakers attached as you should never have unterminated cables.

5. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for the info!!!