What's new

RCA F38310 and Tivo Hookup (1 Viewer)

Amy Wilson

Auditioning
Okay, I may be crazy but I don't see how I can use the DirecTV built into my TV and Tivo as well. Tivo says to go from the satellite to the DirecTV receiver to the Tivo to the TV. I don't see any "outs" on the F38310 (other that audio and I'd like video too thank you very much) to take to the Tivo.

Am I just really tired after trying to move and set up the entertainment center in one day or is there a trick to this?

Thanks much.

Amy

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You're not crazy. You can't record from the built-in tuner on the RCA TVs. It's view only. Yes, this is kind of lame. Hope you didn't pay too much of a premium for the built-in tuner.

So, assuming you have a regular, standalone Tivo, your options are:
(1) Get a second cheap, < $100 RCA DirecTV receiver w/ serial port to act as Tivo's slave. You'd have to pay the additional receiver monthly fee to DirecTV for this.
(2) Sell the Tivo, get a DirecTivo combo model instead.
This is attractive if you get locals via DirecTV.

Amy Wilson

Auditioning
Aarrrgh!

Thanks for the response. Of course, it leads to another question. I have my old DirecTV receiver. Can I run from the satellite to the "stand-alone" receiver to the Tivo to the Antenna A or Video 1 inputs on the TV?

Basically, can I just ignore the built-in receiver in the TV?

Thanks again.

Amy

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
amy,

i see there hasn't been any response to your question of nearly a month ago--- from my understanding, yes you can bypass the internal receiver. i have direct tivo and have been researching this rca- a number of people have told me they've set it up in this manner=-never even activated the internal Direct TV, using only the direct tivo.
that's the way i intend to set it up as well, with an OTA antenna for the local HD channels. I MAY activate the rca tuner IF direct tv upgrades my dish so i can get their HD content.
hope this helps!
how do you like the tv?
can you tell me what the top measurements are? the depth? i need to put a center channel speaker up there!
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks