RCA D34W20-any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matthew Anderson, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I believe this is a discontinued set but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts about this direct view HD set and RCA in general as a brand. I originally wanted to get the Sony 34XBR910 but really cannot afford that set. The RCA is probably the one that Dish Network is offering in their HD in a box deal. I have read a couple of good reviews of the RCA but wanted to hear from anyone with personal experience of just thoughts in general. Thanks

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I bought a RCA D36120. High Definition direct view tv 2 years ago. I have never ever ever ever had a problem with it. (minus the left speaker blowing the first month).

THat perticuler tv I have heard "its got a great picture", but beyond that I dont know.

Many will bash RCA (most of them have more money than us, and can afford that Mitsubishi 90"). I have always had good luck with RCA and so has my parents. I trust theyre quality.[​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I wouldn't say that we "bash" RCA, and I certainly wouldn't say that we have "more money." The simple fact is that products from Thomson Multimedia have the poorest reliability record among common consumer displays. The 38-inch 16:9 direct-view unit seemed to have a nearly 100-percent failure rate in the field. This isn't to say that certain RCA-branded models don't produce great pictures. The question is, how long will they produce such pictures before it's time to call in a repair technician? If you like what you see in this 34-inch model, go for it. But, as always, caveat emptor.

4. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Thanks Dave and Jack for your thoughts on RCA. I have a Proscan(made by Thomson)27inch tv that I have had for over 4 years and I have been very pleased with the picture. I have not had any problems with it but anything can happen at any given time. Thanks again.