What's new

Rank the following war movies: (1 Viewer)

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
We already made a tournament about war movies, Jan. I don't remember who won though. I think it was Apocalypse Now.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Understand your point (and of course I would not take it personally).

Naturally all of the Somali (or nearly all) are black. However; I don’t really think that the U.S. Army profile (in ethnic terms) even comes close to that presented in the movie. The U.S. Army, has, since it has become an all-volunteer force, had a very large percentage of black and Hispanics in its makeup. This is very evident in the ranks and NCOS, and to a lesser extent, the officers.

I am not ordinarily one who believes that movies can or even should reflect reality. They are after all, movies. In the case of BHD, I make an exception to this rule, because it is presented as though it were historical. As it is my belief, that since BHD is presented as historical and that as the ethnic makeup of the U.S. troops is (not quite) white instead of the ethnic mix which I believe reflects its makeup and that this white force is in constant conflict with a black one (which again, I acknowledge as accurate), the movie is racist.

QED

I know that you are not alone in your view, and that many, many critics really like this movie and have not commented on what I believe to be its racism. This does not change my view.

Many years ago, I served in the Army and can say that my limited observation was that, even then, the ground troops had a very high percentage of blacks and Hispanics.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And on a lighter note (if that can apply to a war movie thread), I’d also second (or third) Three Kings, Das Boot[/I}], and Bridge On the River Kwai.

Only a slight leap from Bridge to Stalag 17 and Grand Illusion, the latter being one of cinema’s true masterpieces.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorites, maybe the favorite war film that I haven't seen mentioned here is All Quiet On The Western Front, because it encompasses nearly everything, before the war, combat, the mind of the soldier, the home front, propaganda, etc. Others I'd suggest are They Were Expendable, Paisan, Les Carabiniers and stretching things a bit Barry Lyndon.
Excellent home front/mind of the soldier/after the war films are:
The Best Years of Our Lives
Mister Roberts
Coming Home
Hail The Conquering Hero
Grave of the Fireflies
Germany Year Zero
Stromboli
Taxi Driver

Michael*K

Screenwriter
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Platoon
4. Glory
5. Black Hawk Down
6. Deer Hunter
7. The Thin Red Line
8. Full Metal Jacket
9. Tigerland
10. Behind Enemy Lines

The last film on the list doesn't even merit inclusion, especially when you consider all the great war films you forgot to list.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Platoon
5. The Thin Red Line
6. The Deer Hunter
7. Black Hawk Down
8. Glory
9. Tigerland
10. Behind Enemy Lines

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. This brings up a new format to mind; an actual poll. (No, I'm not being a smartass) With a tourney, we see who wins but we dont see the next 2nd-5th place movies/songs/whatever. Nominate 20 (or some appropriate number) selections and rate them from 1 to 20.. just an idea.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
This brings up a new format to mind; an actual poll
Yeah, I guess the concept would be considered "new" to some of the people here despite the fact that this has (as long as I've been a member) been called the Polls area. You'd never know it by the looks of it these days. :thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd highly recommend We Were Soldiers which will be out on DVD soon.

Of those I've seen from your list, I'd also highly recommend Saving Private Ryan and Glory.

I've always thought Black Hawk Down was more video game than film since there's little plot, no character development, and it's mostly one non-stop battle sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks