What's new

Raising Arizona, did anyone else notice this? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Hawke

Agent
I was watching Raising Arizona and couldn't help but notice the door of the bathroom. It had both OPE and POE spray painted on it. This appeared to me as an homage to Dr. Strangelove by the Coen brothers (purity of essence and the code were represented). Did anyone else notice this? Does anyone know the full story behind this? Or am I just reading too far into some silly gas station bathroom graffiti? ;)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
The Coen brothers are fans of many directors and include little homages here and there. That was a little reference to Kubrick.
Here is some more information:
Link Removed

One of my favorites along these lines is in Fargo; when the two kidnappers are chasing Jerry's wife through the house and she rips down the shower curtain, there's a Bernard Hermann music cue from Psycho.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
After some minor confusion about where this thread properly belongs, it has now been permanently relocated to Movies. Sorry for any confusion.
M.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes the Coens have even mentioned that reference before. Very intentional and clever.

Good catch to see it without knowing to pay attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks