What's new

Radio Shack Audio Gear & Nameplate (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
The old Optimus Brand name is gone, since last year. I think it was public knowledge that Pioneer OEM'd lots of the audio gear (receivers and cd players).
Starting last year, RS signed a deal with RCA. Now the RCA label has replaced the Optimus one. But I'll be darned, those new RCA Radio Shack receivers still look like Pioneers to me. I figured that RCA would supply the gear, but it's only the name? I wonder how Pioneer feels about having an RCA label on its gear. Am I wrong?
What's going on?
Rich B.

BenG

Agent
Almost all RadioShack or Optimus-brand products are made by one of the large, household-name electronics manufacturers. Thus, buying a RadioShack product is not necessarily buying a "generic" product. Pioneer (or whoever really makes Pioneer-brand receivers) seems to be the manufacturer for the receivers; the RCA nameplate was introduced to replace "Optimus" on the home audio line to solidify the alliance between RCA/RadioShack, and give the equipment a more "name-brand" appeal, as ironic as it is. The equipment, at least at the time of the switch, was exactly the same.
Is Pioneer even the "original" manufacturer, or are they just slapping their name on there too? Makes you wonder how much of this stuff goes on in the industry. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks